1936 Johnson seahorse!

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently picked up this J80 1.7hp seahorse off a guy near me, said it was his fathers motor that he used on his old wooden canoe, only ever been in fresh water Alberta lakes ,pictures looked nice, but was in better shape than I thought.
I picked it up for $50, he thought it was worth more, and maybe it was?but he agreed it was fair, I bought it for display, not to run on my boat, but to have a functioning display motor of this era would be even cooler in my book, the only broken piece is the dobber you wrap the rope around on the flywheel, one of the ears broke off, i will attach photos!
If anyone has a manual they could share,it would be apreciated, i know they're not super complicated, But reference material for any project is a must.
thats the broken dobber, I don't know the proper name. Any tips on tank dent removal? It has spark ,and good compression, I really want to try and run it,but need fuel oil ratio, and should replace gear oil or grease? And the timing advance base is hard to move,Anything else to check before trying to start it,let me know,thanks.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Good lookin little motor!

Takes Champion D9J plugs, gapped to 030

Point gap is 020

1/2 pint oil per gallon.

You can get a new plate, only problem would be the different serial number on it, if you are a purist. Contact Doug Penn, google his name for parts.

For non shift motors, I use John Deere corn head grease, or Lubriplate 105 in the gearcase.

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Somewhere on the web I read j8c for the plug, thanks for clearing that up, where can I get John Deere grease, is there anything else more readily available ? Also, how do you remove and repack the grease?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Lubriplate 105 likely more easily accessible. This is what it looks like.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lubriplate-...:g:ccMAAOSw2XFUiHmT&item=390891973066&vxp=mtr

Just squeeze in the fill hole, until it exits the vent hole.

The J80 originally sold for $90 US. It has a 2" bore, and 1.5" stroke. It is rated at 1.7 hp at 3300 RPMS. Gas tank capacity 4 pints. Weighs in at a whopping 28.5 lbs.

The original manual calls for Champion C7 plug, which supersedes to Champion D16, which you can get at NAPA>

Stickler

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any suggestions on getting the advance base to loosen up, really hard to throttle up or down, maybe just some wd40, or do I need to pop the flywheel and get it from the top?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
It likely needs to be removed, cleaned, and regreased.

Have you tried loosening the standard, slotted screw at the collar? Look under the flywheel.