15hp 1985 Evinrude RCOB tries to shift out of forward at high speed

prboling

Recruit
I recently replaced the lower unit on my E15RCOB 85. It runs great, except when I get to the top 1/4 of the throttle. Once I hit a certain speed, the shift lever tries to fall backwards and shift out of forward into neutral. It doesn't shift completely out, but every 10 seconds or so, it goes WHUMP, WHUMP. It feels like I hit two stumps in a row. Then 10 seconds later, it will do it again.

If I use a bungee cord to secure the shifter in the forward position, it will not do this. Then, I can go top speed without any issues. However, as soon as I remove the bungee cord, it starts again.

Is this simply an issue of tightening the shifter lever so it won't try to fall into neutral?

Sounds like the clutch dog and forward gear are worn. It's not uncommon, and one of the biggest things that causes this problem is when someone tries to c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y shift into gear (with the result being that the clutch dog and gear face get worn down). When I was a kid we had a small boat with a '56 Johnson 7.5 that had this exact problem. I ran that boat forever with about the same solution you found, after it was in forward I latched a piece of wire on the shifter.

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
I have heard you can pull the LU apart and flip the forward and reverse gears and the clutch dog and have a good forward gear. The reverse will want to pop out. Never tried it myself but it may be worth a shot.

This may apply to only older models. Hoping someone else will chime in to confirm or deny.

prboling

Recruit
I wonder why the lever doesn't try to fall back when it's at lower speed? Also, I'm afraid that if it IS a gear/dog problem, I possibly have made it worse after all the WHUMP WHUMPS I let it do before I noticed the lever falling back.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The gears can NOT be switched on these lower units.------But make sure that the shift rods and the brass connecter are properly assembled.--------The notches on the rods MUST line up with the bolt hole before the bolt is put in !!

prboling

Recruit
The gears can NOT be switched on these lower units.------But make sure that the shift rods and the brass connecter are properly assembled.--------The notches on the rods MUST line up with the bolt hole before the bolt is put in !!

Yep, it's perfect. I even put a new screw (exactly the same size) into the brass to connect the notch. Is it possible that it has become less secure, like the brass has stretched outward? I hesitate to remove the lower unit and check, because getting the linkage groove to line up with the screw is TOUGH.

I guess I won't have to disconnect just to check, though.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have never had a problem lining that up.----Nothing to it at all.

prboling

Recruit
Every time I've taken it off to change the impeller, I've found it difficult to line it up with the groove and screw it in. I'm kinda new at outboard work, though.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Spread upper part of connecter slightly so that rod will go in with no effort.---Put throttle control in slowest position.----Operate shift lever so so that rod sticks down the farthest.----Rotate prop slowly and pull lower shift rod up to the maximum.--That should give you lots of room to work.------Now assemble !