Remanufactured powerhead recommendations?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys pretty sure I'm not going to have the time to perform a rebuild, lack the necessary tools,no good machine shop around for miles, and pretty sure my crank journals are shot. That all being said, there are tons of reman places on the net. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with one? I hear Crowley does a great job but they are pretty pricey without a good core.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Cooli I didn't realize they did that. So only good things to say? Where do they ship out of?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Our dealership has used the OBR powerheads and gearcases for years. We've had no problems with any of their products. Good folks to deal with.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks guys, sounds like a winner to me!!! Thanks for all of your support. Ill let ya know what that old block looks like once I tear it down.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Do you guys agree with OBR's break in procedures? Is this just one long day on the water or should it be done in a few different days?
The first 10 hours of operation
? Double your oil with a major manufacturer TCW-3 Oil.
? Use 92-94 Octane Fuel from a major manufacturer.
? Do not use fuel with alcohol as an additive.
Initial Break-In & Warm Up Procedure
? Allow 1 hour at idle speed only for break-in of new pistons or rings.
? Avoid continuous full throttle operation for the first 10 hours of operation.
? Liquid cooled engines require that the engine be brought gradually to normal operating temperature to avoid cold seizure resulting from pistons expanding faster than the cylinder liner.​
RPM Recommendations
? DO NOT RUN ENGINE AT CONSTANT RPM FOR PROLONGED PERIODS OF TIME.
? After gradually bringing engine to normal operating temp., operate engine in gear at approx. 1500 RPM for 20 minutes.
? Operate in gear at no more than 3000 RPM for the next 60 minutes.
? Cruise at 3/4 throttle or less for the next 4 hours.
? Occasionally reduce throttle to idle speed for a cooling period.
? During the final hours of break-in you can operate at full throttle for periods of 2 minutes or less.
? Re-torque the heads after 10 hours of operation. (V6 OMC: 20ft lbs / V6 Merc: 40 ft lbs)​
Note:
? Use only enough throttle to plane your vessel and then throttle back to below 3000 RPM.
? Avoid operating in the 3000-4000 RPM range at all times during the 10 hour break-in period.
? During the 6th hour of break-in, plane boat quickly and then throttle back to maintain minimum plane speed.
? During this 6th hour, you can throttle up to 3/4 throttle for 1-2 minutes, then return to minimum planing speed.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Since they have a warranty you need to follow their policy for it to stay in effect ....I myself have a factory modified break-in procedure I use....

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Id be interested in hearing your procedure...............

So, like a dummy, I forgot my factory service manual at work today. Wont be heading into town during the holiday. I know these motor have 4 bolts and one nut on heac side, and two bolts and one nut on the rear. Problem is that I am unaware of how to remove the lower cowling to get to them........... Also, it looks like there are shock dampers from the block to the lower cowling. Does the cowling just slip off after you release the three screws?

On another note, I do not have a hoist handy. Obviously this would be ideal. Do you guys think me and one other guy could pick up the powerhead? I hear the V8's are around 370lbs, so that would make the V4's somewhere around 200lbs?

Last edited: