1955 15hp fastwin armeture question

markm7737

Recruit
first time posting..question is i was given a 1955 15hp good compression...I hope to restore this motor. first issue when i removed fly wheel is everything was stripped from armeture plate..coils points screws for these components etc. im looking for complete assembly..

Could interchange off 50's 7.5 -18hp ??

markm7737

Recruit
what are the two wires going to? please excuse my ignorance..i have a manual coming..thank for any help in advance..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 2 small wires go to a stop switch.-------Your motor may or may not have that switch.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
plate is in place, though? Coils, point, condensers are all maintenance items anyway (and wires, if those are gone too). Screws maybe a little tougher, but available. Think I would go for new replacement parts, and use web pics and parts blow ups to figure out assembly.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Everything in the picture will swap to your 1955 armature plate. However if I remember correctly, the plate itself is different. The one in the picture has a groove around the outside edge, and takes a different flywheel to mate with the groove. Yours doesn't, does it---or maybe it does--take a look? BTW, the groove is a flame arrestor, to prevent sparking breaker points from igniting gas fumes. The feature was added about the time they made fully enclosed cowlings.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On a 1955 motor someone may have added a kill switch. ---Easy to do !

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
For 40 bucks you cant really go wrong. That black OEM coil is worth that alone. You will have everything you need, but as stated, not a drop on replacement.

mark in new jersey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Indeed you are correct. .

But that wasn't the question. I was responding to the statement that "-------Your motor may or may not have that switch." The OP's engine....a '55...does NOT have that switch or those wires.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yeah. could install a cutoff if you wanted.

On assembling a magneto -- an option would be to use that Ebay assembly as a guide, purchasing new parts. Your call on new or used, but can save some consternation just by getting new parts.