Johnson prop single seal, dual lip direction orientation question

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just finished rebuilding the lower unit on '95-96' Johnson, 115hp. It uses single seal, dual lips on both prop seal and driveshalf. I took the seals out previously, so I can't remember the directions if I am installing it correctly. Both seals have an extended lip. Manual says to install exposed lip away from bearing, however their diagrams show differently. For prop seal, I installed the extended lip toward the propeller (LIP1 on picture). Very confused, need some guidance. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo234474.png
    photo234474.png
    238.1 KB · Views: 1

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Rap over knuckles for not posting the model number ..

However this diagram from the BRP parts web site gives the answer .... what you show as "lip 2" inwards in both cases

convert

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's my understanding that a seal lip always fits toward the fluid it is meant to contain, in this case gear lube. A double lip seal may be different, but I don't see why.

interalian

Commander
I've never seen a seal installation that wouldn't have the open side of the cup go toward the inside of the case, providing a face to drive it in. In this case, you're sealing oil in, and water out.

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you all. I installed it with lip 2 (the open side) going into gear case and the extended lip facing the propeller, cross fingers for no leaks. Model is j115sxeoc. Interalian, my understanding is if you have two seals like most units, the first one goes in with open side of cup toward inside gearcase. The next one is installed backward, with the open side of cup toward propeller. Yamaha's 2 seals go in same way I believe.