Smoking Regulator on 96 Johnson 40hp

Lakeside 1

Cadet
I have had numerous electcronics replaced on this motor. My mechanic finally got it running smoothly. Out on a hot run yesterday. Parked the boat and noticed smoke from under the cowling. Pulled the top off fearing a fire. Further observation, noticed smoke coming from what I know now is the voltage regulator/rectifier? I unplugged the battery and the smoking stopped. I recently had the charging coil and power pack replaced. I have pulled the boat out. I also touched the battery lead to verify and indeed smoke was coming from the voltage area and I noticed a gel substance had leaked onto the motor. Talking about a smell. Finally. Will this smoking regulator when replaced require me to replace the charging coil and power pack again? This adventure started out as a used motor purchase. One may not be connected with the other but the hits just keep on coming. And I have heard already about how a boat is a hole in the ocean to put money into. I have three. Thank you and a quick response would be greatly appreciated because I am getting ready to put this baby in its rack for the winter.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Lakeside 1, obviously the rectifier/regulator is toast and will needs replaced. But before popping new parts in, you really need to check over the entire system to verify if there isn't any other problems. Otherwise a new rectifier/regulator could smoke as well. How good is the battery? Have to traced and verified the wires going to/from the battery to engine? When a rectifier/regulator is smoking with the engine turned off, something shorted to cause it to dump the battery voltage through it to ground. And I would certainly check all the wiring before replacing parts. JMHO!