Evinrude 60hp 1989 Overheat again after redoing engine

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice
Evinrude 60HP 1989 Overheat

Two Summers ago my Evinrude 60hp overheat the head gasket was burned and the middle piston smelt a little
Scenario:
Overheat Buzzer not working
Water pump was working well
Engine was peeing strongly

I went to the official Evinrude dealer and they redo the engine:

3 carburettors (Done)
Thermostat (done)
Temperature sensor(done)
Piston (Done)
Water pomp (Done)
Temperature Buzzer( was not changed or did not work)

This summer it overheated again and the head gasket was burned (same place that last time middle cylinder). I was checking all time and the engine was peeing very strongly. Heating Buzzer did not work

1. What are the reason why a engine overheat?
  2. Could be that middle carburetor is not working well and is not feeding the cylinder; therefore, it work dry and burn gasket?
  3. Could the engine overheat with water going through and coming hot? Could be that I did tubing?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It's likely your engine may have been the subject of a service bulletin from OMC. Regarding the cooling systems on these 3 cyl engines made in this timeframe. Perhaps someone will have additional information on this. Or you can check with a dealer.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
[Know this thread is in context of your 2012 topic: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...ration-problem ]

A few thoughts on the new problem:

Maybe this time it's a blown head gasket, no piston issues. Did the shop tell you three years ago why the piston failed? Additionally, are you sure the engine overheated this time? (Or more to the point, sure that overheating was a reason behind the gasket failure(?).

Did you have similar performance issues this time? I'm guessing maybe you had issues this time when the gasket blew, but maybe not before. It's possible that the head wasn't properly milled when the gasket was replaced, or the torque wasn't readjusted after running. (Three years of running with no issues is a long time, but might be possible that the gasket finally failed because of the torque issue -- not quite so sure about a milling issue.)

What mix are you running, and is the converted VRO pump working right? I think it's either going to work or not (and apparently was working for you), but maybe there is more to the conversion -- engine running lean at higher rpms for some reason.

guessing here, obviously -- but suggesting it might not be as serious as the first time around. Solution might be as simple as resurfacing the head and replacing the gasket -- then taking a compression test to see if there are other issues.

Last edited:

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
What wot rpm does your motor hit when you do tubing? For the thermal health it's important that the motor is not overpropped/dragging. Is the tell tale hose relocated from the side to the top of the engine block?

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice
More Information:

1) I am from Quebec Canada. our summer is very short, I had used it just 15 times no more than 25-30 hours

2) This time they changed the Gasket, the spark box and the Buzzer (supposedly they tested it on the water)
3) Never they mentioned to me that I have to check bolt torque after running it for a while. I did not do it. What is the torque that I need in the head?
4) Usually I run it at 4500 rpm. When I had problems the engine did not passes 2500 rpm. I assume that it was running just in 2 cylinders
5) They never told me why it overheat.
6) VRO is cancelled. I mix it manually 50/1
7) Yes, I was really unhappy with the dealer. This time I just paid the parts anyway $380 for gasket, buzzer and spark box was not cheap.
8) Water tail is in the original position (Bottom) and always was peeing. (it is better in the top?)
9) Both time the situation and engine behavior was similar. at one moment the engine did not passed 2500 rpm

Thank a lot Guys !!!
Merci Beaucoup :)

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Thanks oldboat-That's the service bulletin I was trying to recall. Note that the service bulletin applies to all the engines from those years. We performed a lot of these bulletins many, many years ago.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yessir. seems like the OP's dealer would/should have handled the fix, but maybe not.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The service bulletin to relocate the tell tale hose came out in 1994 , so I can not believe that there are motors running where this modification has not been done !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
There are thousands of these motors running with out the modification ...

lmcjmgo

Seaman Apprentice
Great Guys,

So , do we have a consensus that is recommended change the tell-tale to the top?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
No Title

Check your motor first -- should look something like the one pictured in the post, if the tell-tale was previously moved:

edit. sorry, poorly sized. but check out the post for pictures.

Attachments

• photo234439.jpg
    photo234439.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hello the service bulletin for the water relocation is #2276 Rev 1 came out in April 94. It covers 70 hp 1986-1994 65 hp 1987 -1994 and 60 hp 1989 thru 94. It covers the 56 cid block. It should not look like the pic above it does not come out of the block behind the head that is also a 49 cid block in the pic not the same. Also find out if the updates are done to the cooling system. If not here is the water pump kit update# 432995 this will also tell you to remove the the end of the water indicator line and let it run straight through the hose use the kit if you do that.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Look at your first picture in your 2012 thread. Follow the hose from the tell-tale indicator at the lower cowling to the source on the powerhead -- elbow for the tell-tale looks to be under the red plug in the picture. That elbow has to go to the top of the head to vent the water passage(s). The elbow on the exhaust cover may let some air into the system, and/or needs to be repurposed as a vent up around the thermostat. The tell-tale will work fine as is, but that's not the point -- will work fine while the engine overheats. This should have been fixed the first time it went to the repair shop -- certainly the second time.

Look at the pictures in the thread hyperlinked above (#7), and the service bulletin that is also included in that thread.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Do not put it in the top of the head it does not go there I am looking at the service bulletin as I type this. Just did this 2 wks ago on my 1986 70 hp there are certain measurements you need to to make. . The proper location is behind the exhaust cover on the block not near the head. All the measurements you will take are from the exhaust cover. The link in number 7 has the correct service bulletin BUT THE PICS OF THE 3 CYL TELL TALE IN THE HEAD ARE WRONG FOR THE 56 CID BLOCK. Whoever did that did not read the service bulletin or did not understand it. The middle pic is clear as day as on the bulletin I can see the the overheat sensor on the head and the fitting is nowhere near it. If any body wants a copy of the service bulletin they can PM as it won't let me upload it. If you look at the service bulletin at the link in #7 absolutely ignore the pics if you have a 56 CID block. The motor he installed the elbow on is a 49 cid motor not 56 CID. The service bulletin there is specifically for the 56 CID block. The original poster has a 56 CID block.

Last edited:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^^sounds like some hands-on experience, Imc. First determine what you currently have -- might post a pic and get some comments.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
The issue of the factory tattle tail mod did not cause the posters problem there are other issues going on. The mod was for engine running in aerated water and clogged t-stat bypass and drainage. Either the head is warped or the block has a problem.