1977 70hp johnson starter question

so if you read my last post i was having trouble getting my motor to fire. my next step in the repair process is to try a new starter. i currently have an old chrystler with a good starter. whats the likelyhood of me putting it on the johnson and it working? just for short term (duck season starts tomorrow). also, i need new battery cables. will 6-awg thhn work?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Doubt the starter will bolt up to the block and that the bendix will match up to the Johnson flywheel. Sure it's not the starter solenoid that's the real problem?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can test around the solenoid to verify if it's bad. Get a set of automotive jumper cables. Connect to a known strong battery and then try jumping the starter direct. If the starter works and cranks fine by jumping it, then it's likely the solenoid. When those solenoids get lots of hours on them, the contact tips inside get burned. The more they get burned, the less current they transfer each start cycle. Eventually, they won't pass enough current to crank the starter. A $ 25 problem, easily resolved.