1938? Elto pal? Evinrude

markm4

Recruit
I bought an old small single cylinder outboard on ebay. The compression feels good and it sounds like it is firing, but doesn't really start.<br />Any suggestions?<br />Could this ever be a reliable outboard for my sailboat? <br /><br />serial number: 4254 01442<br />Ebay item: 4510641459

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1938? Elto pal? Evinrude

Those little motors look nice on a stand in a basement game, or rec. room. That's as far as I would want to go with one. Try antigue outboards, they may have some information. These motor's could be fun to restore, but know way would I want to rely on one.

markm4

Recruit

Thanks, what would your suggestion be for a reliable auxilary motor about 4 hp?<br /><br />Mark

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the Engine FAQ section, Mark.<br /><br />Check out the "Outboard wont start" article.<br /><br />Let us know what you find.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

1938 2Hp.<br /><br />Great decoration and fun putt-putt (with oars aboard ;) ) at swap meets. Definately not as a primary source of propulsion if reliability and ease of operation are your concerns. You practically have to be a mechanic just to run one of those. There are a ton of better choices, but I would at least start in the 1970s realizing that the newer you get, the more reliable it should be (in general).

matthew hardman

Seaman Apprentice

i like the older motors as they are easer to fix on the water if they do break down if you get it running good before you take it out on the water it should not give you a real hard time i have 3 old motor they are 67 64 59 they have had there problems but when they run they are a beast run great easy to work on

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by hmanmgt:<br /> i like the older motors as they are easer to fix on the water if they do break down
I agree. <br /><br />Especially with motors up to about 7 to 8 hp which you can pull into the boat to work on without parts disappearing forever into the ocean if you're working over the stern.<br /><br />Although I have to say that I'd include motors up to my mid-'70's 5HP Mariner which is pretty simple, but stupidly designed as you have to remove too many shrouds etc to remove a simple part like a carb.<br /><br />Then again I'm no authority as I still think a 1950's British Seagull is a pretty reliable motor and easy to work on.