1991 70 HP evinrude

williamfw57

Cadet
Still having fuel starvation problems after starting to premix..... not using the VRO,,I plugged lines at fuel pump,,sometimes it'll run allday fine next day it just falls on its face and dies ,,, one squeeze on the primer bulb and let it set and it'll run...how much fuel pressure does that engine need?,,,im' gonna go electric fuel pump...This is the engine I need the power pack P/N-----Model #E70TLESB 1990 70 H.p. 02563284 Serial #

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Couple of simple / no $$ things to try----Test run with a known to be good fuel tank and hose.---The VRO pump is elegantly easy to take apart / inspect and repair.---Perhaps look at a fuel pump from a similar 3 cylinder 65 hp commercial model, much cheaper.---Test run with an assistant ready to operate the bulb when motor falters.----Has the pisser hose been relocated to the top of the block as per a service bulletin from 1994 ??

hondam

Petty Officer 1st Class
An electric fuel pump can be dangerous and depending on what type and where you mount it could even be against coast gaurd regulations. The problem is if you get a leak and the engine catches fire it wont stop spraying fuel on the fire.

If you need to replace it go with the VRO elimination kit or if you can find an older style fuel pump to work.

There is no point taking the VRO apart because they no longer make any parts for it, they used to make service kits for it but not anymore.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????------Why not take the VRO apart to see if it may be the cause of problems.---If all is OK then you look elsewhere and take missus out for supper with money saved !

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Are you sure it is fuel? Power packs can mimic at times. Especially if intermittent.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
For example. Put away one of my 70 hp triples three years ago. Drove it off the lake on maybe two cylinders. Figured I'd rebuild carbs in spring. 3 yrs later I decide to pull it out. Comp and spark and rest of trouble shooting revealed new power pack, not carbs.

Granted I knew it had an issue and I work on 40 of these a year. Assumed to be fuel. But I did the whole trouble shooting and it saved me a pain in the rear carb cleaning. So much easier to bolt on a pack.

Btw. It would only run right if trimmed a little. Every thing pointed to fuel but ...

Last edited:

Roberthill

Petty Officer 1st Class
VRO repair kits are still available but only for the fuel pump side .Just google it on Internet .