Very stubborn lower unit 70 hp Evinrude

South Paw

Seaman
Hi viewers. Any tips on removing a very stubborn lower unit? All bolts have been removed afaik. 4 on the cav plate, one under the trim tab, removed anode bolt just to be sure. Not sure if i have removed the shift linkage properly, i found an old thread but i thought the lower unit should still drop a bit, at least it should have separated, no?
I just wanna change the impeller, why do i always run into crap? I have a feeling the drive shaft could be frozen.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What year is the motor is the shift linkage attached behind the bottom carb

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Based on earlier posts, appears to have an '82. Guessing longshaft, saltwater. Probably an extra bolt under the plate, maybe not. If salty, may need a torch to break it free.

South Paw

Seaman
Apologies guys. Old outboard has since been replaced, was a 1982 Johnson, now running an 87 70 hp Evinrude.

South Paw

Seaman
Based on earlier posts, appears to have an '82. Guessing long shaft, saltwater. Probably an extra bolt under the plate, maybe not. If salty, may need a torch to break it free.

Seems to be the 4 bolts around the cav plate, and one under the trim tab Is this correct. As i said above i also undid the anode bolt just in case. Yes the engine is a 20in shaft. The impeller pumps plenty of water. I was just gonna replace it as i don't know when it was last replaced. I bought the outboard interstate (Australia). When i viewed the engine i noticed the very end of the cav plate was damaged and knocked down the price. Guy told me mechanic did it dropping a tool. Makes me think it may have been trying to free the lower unit now. Other than that the engine runs great. Starts 1st go with a touch of enricher.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Alright as long as you have the shifting linkage free and all the bolts are out. Take wooden wedges one from each side and start hitting them in hopefully it will pop off. Be careful doing this as you don't want to break anything.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There should be 6 bolts on the bench, plus the one for the trim tab to make 7.---anode does not need to be removed.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
(look for hidden bolt under trim tab -- one of the seven)

and btw, be careful on the ones underneath in particular, if corrosion present.

Last edited:

South Paw

Seaman
Lemme know if this sounds correct please. 4 bolts around the cav plate, the long bolt under the cav plate, next to the anode bolt, the bolt to remove the trim tab and then a bolt under the trim tab. Seven bolts.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 7 bolts is correct.---What I do on stubborn ones is to use a come-a-long to pull the lower unit off.

Last edited:

South Paw

Seaman
did you disconnect the shift linkage under the bottom carb?

Hi mate. I'm not sure how to do it. I found an old thread and it had this procedure but i had no luck with it. If some one could post some clear instruction i would be very grateful.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ever-from-shift-rod-evinrude-70hp-2-stroke-86

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...p-shift-rod-disconnect-for-lower-unit-removal

Going by the above thread, even with the shift rod connected the lower unit should still separate some from the leg?

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
yes it should separate a little, 1/8 -1/4in maybe, on a 3cyl. you might not need to remove starter my 2cyl it much easier, look under the starter to the middle of the engine under the carb there's a bolt on a clamp, from looking at post 13 you might go at from the right side, mines left side easier, keep looking at post 13 good info there

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
On the 3 cyl you need to remove the airbox and the bottom carb to get to the linkage. Take the bolt all the way out and pull the coupler off. The lower wont drop if the lower is in forward gear as the linkage pulls up on it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????----What ?-------The parts book shows that you remove pin ( item 87 ) with a pair of pliers and it is on the starboard side of the motor..-------Then you push the shift shaft to the port side.-------That releases the shift rod.----Simple and nothing complicated either.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You might want to get a manual for your motor. The only thing I can tell you is on my 1986 70 hp the linkage needs to be disconnected behind the bottom carb. The coupler is held on by a bolt that goes through a slot in the shaft to hold it in place. Once the bolt is removed you pull the coupler with the pin off and the shift shaft is clear.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On models previos you just unscrewed the pin from the port side.----There was never a need to remove a carburetor on the 3 cylinder models !!!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Just my opinion the bolt unscrews straight down. With the carb out of the way I just have a lot more room to work with. I tell people that because I have seen a lot people strip that bolt and/or coupler because going in from the side is much tighter and and people try to force it.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On the early model the screw comes in from the side.---A portion of that screw is not threaded and is the pin that goes into the shift rod.---The later models from mid 1980's on use a totally different method where you remove a hitch pin and push the shift shaft to the port side to release the shift rod.----And there has never been a need to remove the lower carburetor on the 3 cylinder models !!!!