1970'ish 60HP Johnson Hydroelectric Shift Starter Solenoid Help

Hey guys,

First time poster, nice to meet you all.

As the title states, I own a 15ft runabout with a 60hp Johnson Hydroelectric Shift. I know the motor gets a lot of bad press, however it's worked great for me so far in that aspect. However, earlier in the summer it began only starting once in awhile. Sometimes it would kick right on, other times it would just click. A few times I had to jump the starter directly with a set of cables to get home.

I assumed it was the solenoid, so I bought a generic 80A replacement from Princess Auto. It was 4 post similar to the one that was there already:

2015-11-06 15.27.48.jpg

However, after disconnecting everything I got distracted with a different boat project and didn't end up putting the new one in. Fastforward two months and I'm getting it ready for winter and want to get this buttoned up. I don't remember, however, how to hook everything back together. I've numbered the different connectors on the engine and alphabetized the new solenoid to make anyone who takes their time to help me life's a little easier. I do appreciate any help rendered.
2015-11-06 15.26.46.jpg

1 - goes to the starter
2 - this comes off the engine side of the harness. I believe this is the charging wire to recharge the battery. I know that this and 5 go together.
3 - Comes from the engine side wiring harness. I do not know what this is.
4 - I believe this is the starter wire from the key. It comes from the boat side of the harness.
5 - This is the positive battery wire. As stated before, I believe #5 and #2 go together.

2015-11-06 15.26.49.jpg

I am unsure at this point which wires go to what posts. I know that #1 (goes to starter) goes on one of the two larger posts, with #2&5 go to the other. I am unsure which goes on which though. #3 and #4 must go on either B or C, however I am unsure which.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

Attachments

• 2015-11-06 15.27.48.jpg
    2015-11-06 15.27.48.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1
    2015-11-06 15.27.48.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 1
    2015-11-06 15.27.48.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
First off, if your motor has a starter safety switch on the throttle, and if you put a car solenoid in it, you will instantly destroy the safety switch. So two basic questions are, did you buy a car solenoid, and does your motor have a safety switch.

With that, IF---IF you bought the correct solenoid, the battery cable goes on one of the big posts, along with the smaller red wire. It makes no difference which big post, whichever one reaches correctly will be fine. Same thing goes for the starter cable, which goes to remaining big post. The two white (yellowed) wires go to the two small posts, makes no difference which ones.

But if you bought a car solenoid, all bets are off.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Nate,

Here is wiring diagram to such a motor.
Hope it helps.

Re 60HP_Johnson_70_wiring.jpg
gards, Peter

Last edited:

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Nate,

Here is wiring diagram to such a motor.
Hope it helps.

Regards, Peter

EDIT:
Sorry for this double posting.
Moderator, please delete this posting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys.

I haven't got back to it yet - it was a generic car starter so I assume I've cooked the safety switch. Will have to figure out a work around. I will update when I figure it out. I appreciate the diagram.

Cheers,

Nate

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You can use the car solenoid if you work around the safety switch. In other words, eliminate the safety switch. However, you would be eliminating an extremely important feature and create something dangerous. Somebody can get hurt or killed. For that reason, I am not going to tell you how to do it. You might figure it out for yourself though. It simple basic electricity.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
First off, if your motor has a starter safety switch on the throttle, and if you put a car solenoid in it, you will instantly destroy the safety switch.

Can I ask what the problem is with using a car solenoid like the one the OP pictured in #1. Why will that destroy the safety switch?

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The safety switch function will no longer work.-------That could be dangerous in this day and age.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Can I ask what the problem is with using a car solenoid like the one the OP pictured in #1. Why will that destroy the safety switch?

The problem is that the solenoids are different inside. On a car (Ford) solenoid, turning the key switch applies 12V to one of the small solenoid terminals to activate the solenoid. The other small terminal is to bypass the car's ignition resistor, applying a full 12V from the battery to the ignition coil during starting. Once started, the coil is fed 6V (+/-) through the resistor.

On an OMC solenoid, turning the key switch applies 12V to one small terminal, and the other small terminal provides a ground return through the safety switch. The electromagnet coil inside the solenoid is in series between the two small terminals and thus reduces the voltage going to the safety switch.

If you connect the second small terminal of a car solenoid to the safety switch, it will send a full 12V whallop to the safety switch, burning it up.

To try to say it simpler. the voltage coming out of the second small terminal of a car solenoid is 12V, high amps capability. The voltage coming out of the second small terminal of an OMC solenoid is reduced by the electromagnet coil inside, and is way far less than 12V.

Hey guys, once again thanks for the help so far. I would like to keep the neutral safety switch if possible, however I do not tow anyone nor swim around this boat so it would not be an imminent safety risk. But I understand the value of having the switch.

Anyways, I've been pounding my head trying to figure it out. Here is where I have arrived as can be seen in the video. I am very new to wrenching on my own stuff, I grew up with a pencil as opposed to a wrench in my hand. Anyways, in this scenario is the test light acting as a ground? Why does the engine only crank with the test light touching one of the smaller terminals? Any ideas?

Much appreciated,

Nate

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You may find that it is a safety switch.----Prevents cranking with too much throttle applied.---Will crank in forward and reverse.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What the heck? Are you making that light flash on and off by turning the key on and off or is it flashing on and off by itself? With the way you are constantly moving the camera, I can't tell how you have wired that solenoid. My advice at this point is put the original solenoid back in and do voltage tests following the diagram. Actually, I don't think the original is original. We don't know what it is. Originals were black, not blue.

I suspect this motor has been giving starting problems in the past and somebody has already been in there "fixing" it. Who knows what really is wrong. You have to use the diagram and do common sense, logical tests. It may not be a solenoid problem at all.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^That clicking you mentioned would indicate that the solenoid was working. I also think it's a good move to put it back on (other option is to just get hold of the right one for the motor). It sounds like there is a grounding issue with the current solenoid (probably doesn't ground through the bracket) -- but too many systems and connections at risk, IMO, if you try to make the current one work.