Evinrude 70HP (85) repair gone bad

jbcurt00

Staff member
Fishing, please remember iboats is also an online retailer. The forum software does auto filter some competitor content.

iboats sell the part 0316132 as well

Use the promo code FORUM5 to get a discount for being a forum member

Thank you

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
Will do, I figured that was the case. Since I need a new solenoid sleeve and lead I will check out that discount.

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Black wire from power pack ? Does it connect to the choke solenoid? Wire was bent leading me to think so.

Attachments

• photo241802.jpg
    photo241802.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Scott. That completes the starboard side of the engine. Only the VRO starter and harness to put on and I should be ready to test the compression. There are still some wires that have me scratching my head but I'll post any questions of I need to.

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

OK these two wires come off the black box in front of the flywheel above the air intake. All of the wiring on the port side is plugs save for these plus one knife connection. As a note the vro oil has been plugged and I don't know if these are part of the alarm.
There are ground wires of course that connect to a shoulder bolt on the exhaust manifold.

Attachments

• photo242109.jpg
    photo242109.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those are the 2 power wires for the tilt and trim I believe they should have purple stripes on them. Those wires should connect into the main harness somewhere by the red plug I believe.. The black box holds the T/N/t Relays you may need a wiring diagram.

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
I will check when I get home for purple stripes. Both wires have eyelet connections and the wire is long. I thought maybe it passed back through the motor behind the carbs and screwed into that little bar. Will need to do more snooping and see what the manual has. I'm not good with diagrams of wiring :)

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
There does seem to be a purple stripe on one wire. The connectors are eyelets so I don't think they connect to the harness. I can't see anywhere other than maybe to the starter solenoid. One picture showed a red wire connected to the vro

Last edited:

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at the wiring diagram in The manual isn't helping as it doesn't show what the wires are connected to nor could seem to find the proper colors

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
Yes as I thought on your 3rd picture starboard side you have a wire coming through that hole behind the carbs rear of choke. I think they must pull through. I found 2 posts that are backed out on the wiring strip (don't know proper term) back to the manual to see what i can find.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Sure thing man, hope it helps. I sure miss that motor, she was a gem.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
purple and white probably goes to the choke solenoid. Check the wiring diagrams and color coding in the Mastertech link in the "top secret file" up at the top of this forum.

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Well all together. Testing the compression in the morning. The colour photos were far more help than the manual :)
Thanks everyone for help identifying parts and sending pictures.

Attachments

• photo243172.jpg
    photo243172.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo243173.jpg
    photo243173.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 0

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
Tested with the muffs in the drive way last night. Water coming out the thermostat cover cause guy never tightened the bolts. Really hope that is separate area form main engine. Tightened down and no leaks. Major fuel leak somewhere in the carbs, wondering what he never tightened in that area.

15fishperlure

Seaman Apprentice
It looked like the body till I pulled off the air silencer. Turned out to be the gasket on the air cover was not aligned and was covering the return hole at the bottom. Really happy about that :) No more issue
Still have a dead temp alarm which needs to be looked at. The replacement sensor has a ground and the tan sending wire but on mine there is only the tan wire unless it is grounded inside. Would prefer to have a working overheat horn right.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
sorry haven't read all posts, but many(all) 80's motors are just one wire temp.sensors, with the key on and knife connection at sensor apart, ground wire from the wiring harness, the alarm should sound