Primer Solenoid gone bad?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Hey guys
Motor has been backfiring at startup and hard starting when cold. I can hear the solenoid engage when I push in the key, so I disconnected the fuel primer lines off the carbs one at a time and am not getting fuel.

anyone ever cleaned up and rebuilt one of these? I replaced the main gasket, the cover plate and the primer lines a few months back. This motor had been setting around for years so may be just dirty? Fuel system has been cleaned and once started motor idles great.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Did you squeeze the primer bulb prior to your testing (or during)?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
When you say "backfiring" do you mean a "lean sneeze or cough"? if so try a little propane in front of the carbs and see if the problem goes away, this will richen it up. You can also aim some up under the flywheel to see if maybe the top crank seal has gone out.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Removing the choke solenoid hoses off the carbs is a valid test. What position is the red lever on the solenoid?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Fuel lines were primed good and tight. Emd I checked the lever it is set properly.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
So I should get the spurt of fuel when I push the key in AND turn the motor over, right? This is so odd that I can hear the solenoid click, yet not get fuel. Possible air leak in the fuel system?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Fuel should come out when the motor turns over or when you squeeze the bulb. No fuel means plugged line or non working solenoid valve.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
So there is no blockage because I flipped the red lever and primed the bulb and fuel came out of the primer hoses. I guess my next step is to fire it up after a manual prime and see if the backfiring goes away.

If there is no external leak is there any components inside the solenoid that would prevent fuel from flowing when trying to prime? The solenoid is engaging when I push the key in......

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If the solenoid itself is working, maybe you need to consider a repair kit for the solenoid. Would include a maintenance valve, gasket and cover.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Thanks guys!! I will try and clean out the little filter and report back!