Last day on the lake, then uh-oh

interalian

Commander
The outlaws are in town for Thanksgiving and dad wanted to do some fishing. We were out trolling around for a couple of hours with the odd fast run to another spot. During one of those fast transits, the old 90 started bogging and sputtering. Limped it back to the launch at around 2000 rpm with the odd 'kick'. Felt like it was running on 2 cylinders. Got it home, pulled the cover and the plugs and:

I think one of the original power packs from 1982 (port side) kicked the bucket. Port side plugs on the left. Thoughts?

The lake will be drained about 12 feet starting Tuesday, so there will be no opportunity to run it again until next May.

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Swap the two power packs and see if the "no fire" problem moves to the other head. if so, likely it's a power pack.

interalian

Commander
Exactly, but I suspect it's a heatsoak problem and they'd work fine cold... This motor has never so much as sneezed in 33 years!

I will be tearing this motor apart along with the 140 donor this winter though. The power pack part numbers don't match between the '79 140 (0581805) and the '82 90 (0582125), so I don't have 'spares' in hand now. Stator and flywheel are the same, coils different too. It's going to be an interesting build.

Time to build my motor stand.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When wiring length changes or when method of connecting to the coils changes the part # changes.---The actual parts maybe and will work the same.

interalian

Commander
That is probably true. The PO of the 140 was a bit of a hack - all the powerhead wiring is spliced with black tape, so there's no way to confirm what the wiring originally looked like. Once it's in bits on the stand, I'll have a better idea what's happening.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
So why ya tearing the motor apart if you think its just a powerpack? Time for a rebuild?