1996 johnson 150hp losing power

1996 johnson 150hp sputters and loses power but never stalls after a few hours after running long distances and i noticed something strange last time it happend while it was happening i went to go check the primer ball and when i squeezed it it stayed how i squeezed it it wasnt sucked squeezed but it just stayed squeezed in.i was thinking it was my power pack but now im thinking it could be something else.help!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Sounds like a fuel restriction. Check fuel tank vent, anti siphon, fuel pickup, line condition....how old is the bulb? (they do go bad)

Clear vinyl hose and a tee to a vacuum guage at "fuel in" on OMS pump can confirm. I think you are looking for less than 4"Hg. If you have 3/8" line and a spin on fuel water seperator you will probably see 2.5-3.5"Hg depending on the lenght of the run.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Agree. Sometimes on old hose bulbs, the ball valves inside don't function properly and can cause problems. Also, on old bulbs, make sure the arrow on the side of the bulb is pointed in an upward direction. If the bulb is laying downhill in the boat's splashwell, it may not flow fuel properly. May be time to just replace the bulb.

Hey guys i checked and did the following it was the water separator all clogged up with orange clay like substance and also a gooye blackish green stuff i changed that spin on and it ran great all day long.now do you think that stuff is coming from my tank or do you think the previous owner just let sit to long and that stuff built up in the filter.i recently bought this boat a few months ago so i have no idea how the tank is or anything really

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
That goo will be every where upstream of filter most likely. I would consider replacing all fuel components from engine connection forward as preventative maintenance.

What color is the fuel line? Is it the gray stuff with the liner?

The tank is metal and i have the regular black hoses.i took her out this weekend and ran great again but the bottom of the bowl on water separator once again filled up with orange flakes

sutor623

Rear Admiral
The tank is metal and i have the regular black hoses.i took her out this weekend and ran great again but the bottom of the bowl on water separator once again filled up with orange flakes

Yea that is likely rust from the tank. Is this gas pre mixed with oil or are you running the VRO? Honestly it sounds like its time to drain your fuel tank, put some fresh fuel in it, let it set and drain it again.

What size is the tank and how hard is it to get to? These steel tanks are basically a huge headache as they get older, and may be worth considering replacing.

After you get all of the suspect fuel out, I would drain ALL of your carbs with the bowl drain screws, and then pump the fuel bulb until you start seeing fresh fuel run out of the fuel line that attaches to the carbs. You need to get all this crap out of there or face the consequences!!!!!!!

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If portable tanks or accessible strongly consider replacing. While expensive it is cheaper than getting stranded if you venture far out.

w2much

Lieutenant
All you need is one carb to get a bit of a clog and then a lean condition then........... Not good.. Take the previous advice and clean or replace the fuel system.

Ok guys got it hooked up to different tank and it was running good for about an hour but now it starts and then stalls after the gas is used up in carbs again it seems like starving for gas could this be stuff in the carbs now.i haven't clean them after changing it all out.

Captain I am running the oil gas mixed.will draining them like you said be considered cleaning them or will I have to rebuild them

I actually looked at that the other day and it has a lot of crap in it I didn't think it was bad enough to worry about do you think that can affect things

Fed

Commander
I think it could, the pump only runs on a couple of psi.

Edit: I don't 'know' your particular filter but my older inline one is cleanable & I suspect yours would be too.
Take special care not to let any crap go further into the fuel system, that filter is your last line of defense.

Last edited:

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Well.. the Attwood works if you get the right size.
but they rot out in about 2years.

Definitely it shouldn't be collapsing the bulb.

I kind of doubt the issue is after the bulb. Its trying to pull more fuel through the bulb than what can get there.

Fed

Commander
I thought the collapsing bulb was solved by replacing the filter/separator?