Twist tiller, nothing moves

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Acquired a 1968 Evinrude Sportwin that is in bad shape. It will start and run but throttle will only twist a tiny amount and doesn't change speed. Can't figure out linkage. Think everything is connected but frozen or jammed. Any thoughts on this?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
The throttle won't fully open unless the motor is in gear. With the motor off, see if you can shift into either forward or reverse. To do that, you may have to rotate the flywheel slightly clockwise. Don't force it either in or out of gear.

If in gear, try the twist grip and see if it operates. The flywheel is on top of the engine, and the magneto plate or throttle plate is under the flywheel. It turns clockwise when throttling up. You can rotate it by hand. (Watch the linkages when doing that to see what moves.)

Don't run the motor unless you know that the water pump (rubber impeller) in the lower unit has been replaced. Standard procedure is to replace the impeller before operating to insure an old impeller doesn't break apart and jam water passages.

Needed maintenance depends on history and condition of the motor. If you don't know the history, figure on doing ignition and carburetor work similar to what you see described here in other threads along with the water pump work. Post a model number and something about the history of the motor for better (more specific) responses.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The throttle plate doesn't open in gear. The motor will start and run in gear. Impeller pumps like crazy. I bought the motor in the early 1970s and ran it very reliably for 20+ years. Then gave it to my son. He neglected it and gave it back to me frozen up. I freed the pistons with some penetrating oil and fired it up. I have to keep the motor choked for some time before I can open the choke and shift it into gear.. It runs above idle but not very fast. The model plate is pretty messed up. I believe the model is a 9822E and the Serial No. is E01189. Maybe it is the fond memories but I'd really like to make this motor run properly.

AlTn

Commander
try googling Leeroy's Ramblings...johnson/evinrude related articles...9.5 hp. maintenance....also look under the Sticky at the beginnings of the Forum and scroll down to Universal Magneto...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
armature plate (where the coils and points are mounted) under the flywheel should turn by hand -- earlier reference was misleading. Sorry. If the plate in the carb doesn't open, that would be another linkage issue at the carb. Look for link and sync instructions both for the process and for a description of the parts/linkages. Think that's in Leeroys Ramblings or in one of the stickies here. Standard stuff is to check for spark on both plugs. Check compression. As the motor runs, pull the plug boots individually and see if it stalls or stumbles (no effect means the cylinder isn't firing -- running on the other cylinder). Stalling when shifting into gear could be ignition or carb, among other things. First might want to compare linkages and assemblies to parts diagrams to see if everything is properly in place. The diagrams at marine engine dot com can help, among others.

Lootas1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Armature plate won't turn at all. Will pulling the flywheel get me a good look at the linkage? Compression feels good. Don't have a gauge to check it. I set it aside and tried starting my Merc 3.9. It ran good until I put a little WD40 in the side draft carb and yanked the rope. Major explosion under hood and flames. Motor was still running when I disconnected the fuel line. Now no spark and I can't get the flywheel pulled to see damage underneath. Maybe I shouldn't be messing with old outboards?

lindy46

Captain
Well, you'll need to pull the flywheel to check the armature plate. Are you using a harmonic balance puller and grade 8 bolts? Tighten it as much as possible and let it sit awhile, then try tightening it some more. A strong tap on the puller center bolt might help - just not too hard. Once you get the flywheel off, you'll want to remove the armature plate and clean the old grease underneath - that may be what's freezing it up. Clean everything up real good, then sparingly re-grease.

lindy46

Captain
Another thought - is the twist grip frozen up? Disconnect the linkage and see if the armature plate moves without the twist grip in the equation. If it does, then maybe the problem is in the twist grip. Does it move?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^good on both approaches. Pull the flywheel, and disconnect tiller handle linkage. Want to say use a little WD-40 on the linkage, but avoiding that. Not sure you can be trusted.:) I know. Ain't funny.

The flywheel nut can sometimes be hard to loosen. I've taken to just using the rattle gun on them (don't have to hold flywheel in place while wrenching, and busts loose just about anything.) Guess I would add to Lindy's description that you can actually whack that center puller bolt pretty good -- accurate, and straight down. Want to leave the flywheel nut screwed on top a few turns to protect the shaft -- also helps center the puller. When the flywheel pops, can be a little violent -- another good reason to keep the nut on there loosely. Controls things a little. (Assume this stuff might be new to you. Maybe done it before.)

Last edited: