Wiring diagram for Johnson 60 hp 1991

Halftrack2

Cadet
I have purchased a 1991 Johnson 60 hp that came off a pontoon boat. I need a wiring diagram to adapt to a Skeeter Champ 1991. Have wiring from pontoon boat but none on skeeter.. can anyone help??

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Welcome to the forum.

What wireing help are you looking for, getting guages to work or key switch or oil tank or all of the above? not trying to be a smart alec.

The harness from the pontoon will be fine, you can coil up the excess. The controls may or may not switch over, depends what you have and what you need (sidemount vs binnacle etc.)

Make sure you run on 50:1 premix until you verify that the oiling system has been properly switched over and is self priming.

An evinrude shop manual will prove to be valuable.

Once you get it all set up and ready to run you will need to get an accurate tach to properly prop the motor. I doubt the pontoon prop will be the right pitch.

You have a little work to do but you have found a great place to get help.

Halftrack2

Cadet
The wiring help needed will be all the above...steering works great with excess mounted across from right to left. only had to cut a 1" access hole on left side.. I have all the harness from the pontoon but some are cut, some have been spliced with different color wire.etc. I have a manual ordered. Hope it has enough pictures for a simple mind to understand... A buddy wanted a pontoon prop and we traded on that. Also order a set of controls with double handles....the pontoon was a 1 lever set up and needed to be on the left side of the console... My skeeter needs to be a right side wall mount....think I am ok with that part...Thanks for the info and I am sure I will be back on here soon....

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Just a simple suggestion...If you decide not to replace your cut and spliced different colored etc. harness and make it work, be careful. Voltage to some wires that arent supposed to have it could possibly ruin some fairly expensive components. New harness are available and you might even be able to get an aftermarket perfectly fine one on this site for less than the trouble of splicing and heat shrinking each connection on your old one.

Halftrack2

Cadet
I have most of the harness in place. Replaced some melted wiring to power trim, have that working now. I have starter working, power trim working, and need help with another problem...No spark at spark plugs. Cannot find any breaks in wiring, all wires are attached as per the diagram for tj60tleib Johnson 60 hp. Can anyone tell me where to start?? Thanks Paul

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Find the black/yellow wire at the powerpack. This is the ignition kill wire. It is grounded by the key switch or lanyard switch in order to kill ignition. Disconnect this lead at the powerpack. You should have spark then.

If you have other wiring issues you might not be able to shut off the engine with the choke. So remove the airbox before, so you can stop the engine coverig the carbs with a piece of wall paper.