1999 70HP Johnson tilt and trim power supply??

nim713

Seaman Apprentice
I just recently picked up the motor, All of the cables with the exception of the power cable had been cut in half. My general question is, will the power trim work if just connected to the battery or does the wiring harness have to be connected to controls and motor? It does have the power tilt on the side but does nothing if just connected to battery. To mention I do not have controls or new harness yet.

64osby

Admiral
You should be able to bench test the unit by using the cut wires if you are on the motor side of the control solenoid.

I have done that on several units. Be cautious because the wires can get very hot quickly.

nim713

Seaman Apprentice
Just curious but would I have to use the cut wires in order for the tilt buttons on the side of the button to work as well? Im unfamiliar with power tilt, ive always had motors that i had to manually lift

64osby

Admiral
If the wires have been cut you will have to splice wires or rewire in order to make the TnT work with the switch.

You could hot wire the TnT direct to a battery but the switch won't work with cut wires.