2004 Johnson (Suzuki) 15 HP flywheel removal bolts

Adam Johnson

Recruit
I have a 2004 Johnson Suzuki) 15 HP 4 Stroke engine (J15TEL4SR) .
I am trying to change the timing belt and adjust the valve clearance.
I purchased the universal Flywheel Puller Kit (378103) and none of the bolts will thread into the holes. The smallest set will barely start but the stop turning so I didn't force them.
In my shop manual they list Flywheel Remover Bolts (5034235) along with the Puller Kit.

Will the smallest set work and I just need to clean the hole or use a wrench to get them started?
Do I need the additional Flywheel Remover Bolts (5034235)?
Can you tell me what size - thread the bolts need to be and is there a better solution than these?

Thank you, Adam

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I dont think the universal kit came with the metric bolts that you will need. I dont have any little four strokes around to check the size for you but it is probably an 6 or 8 mm.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are lots of places that sell such bolts with that part number. But the cost is so little that it has to b some readily available metric thread size bolts. So try to find them locally at a hardware store. However, if this is to pull the flywheel, make sure they are grade eight type bolts. But don't buy grade eight until you verify the diameter and thread size first. JMHO!

Adam Johnson

Recruit
Thanks. The additional bolts are inexpensive so I ordered them, $8 including shipping, if they don't work I will try cheap metric bolts to determine the proper size/thread then get grade 8.