should my motor still be running?

bundy73

Recruit
hi I had problems with my boat getting started, not enough volts to turn it over, very poor idling and would die on acceleration, so I took it into a shop and they concluded I needed a new stator and emm.

I have continued using the boat with these issues, boat gets harder to start each time I use it, my questions is should I be able to use the boat if they said that I need a new emm? because once the boat is all warmed up, it runs pretty well, only exception is when im in idle and going to take off I have to slam it into gear or it will stall.

just wanted to get some insight before I try and repair the emm and stator?

thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
What do they mean not enough volts to turn it over that would have more to do with the battery than the emm or stator. I know low voltage from the battery in those can cause a lot of problems I would check all the electrical connections first. Anfd make sure your battery is good.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
When was the last time you changed the plugs and were they indexed properly? Have you inspected the plugs? These motors are hard on plugs and poor idling and acceleration are symptoms of bad plugs (as well as a host of other issues).

Load test the battery. How many CCA is the battery you are using? Can you check your cranking RPM?

It is possible this needs a stator and emm but did they tell you why? Was it an evinrude shop that had diagnostic software etc.?