Evinrude 60hp (1983?) Correct service manual

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
I have an Evinrude 60hp 2 cylinder outboard that's probably from 1983 (84 or 85 is possible also). I cannot determine it correctly as the cowling is repainted, "nickel" is missing and serial plate is also missing (have a separate thread trying to determine the year).
I have a generic repair manual that handles all Evinrude/Johnson from 1971-1989 but now I'm looking for a more specific because I will remover the cylinder block in the spring.

How much difference is it between the years? It's very confusing also on ebay there are many different types.
For example there's a 60hp 1980 service manual but also a 1980 service manual for 50/55/60hp.
And starting from like 1983 it seems to be one that handles like all models evinrude 2 thru v6 recreational models.
Could someone point me to which I should get? For me it's not important that it's a paper edition, a digital format would suffice.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can do some research. Go to the factory exploded parts list website: epc.brp.com. Check out the parts diagrams for those years and compare what's on your engine with the parts on the diagrams. For instance, looks like the 85 model was the first year for the VRO fuel pump. 1981 was the year they switched from 3 wire trim pump to two wire trim pumps. (happened midyear) You should find other differences which may help to tie down the year. Keep in mine that those parts lists show a paint color chart too. The paint color may further help determine the year. You can look for original factory manuals here: outboardbooks.com

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
As far as a " rebuild " effort is concerned these motors are all the same.

DrDim

Seaman Apprentice
You can do some research. Go to the factory exploded parts list website: epc.brp.com. Check out the parts diagrams for those years and compare what's on your engine with the parts on the diagrams. For instance, looks like the 85 model was the first year for the VRO fuel pump. 1981 was the year they switched from 3 wire trim pump to two wire trim pumps. (happened midyear) You should find other differences which may help to tie down the year. Keep in mine that those parts lists show a paint color chart too. The paint color may further help determine the year. You can look for original factory manuals here: outboardbooks.com

I have a question regarding that, is the VRO pump optional?
The reason I'm asking is because every 2cylinder 60hp evinrude have tilt and powertrim but I don't have that, or was that an option you could purchase just like it is with extra accessories for cars?