Ran over rope, Ticking noise

rayray89

Cadet
Hello all , i would like some input on what you think could be wrong here.

Had some windy weather this weekend, my bow rope slid off and got wrapped around the prop 3 times . Its pretty thick rope and the engine shut off . Didnt know what was going on so i started it again and as soon as i put it in fwd it shut off. Then looked at the prop and saw the rope

I was bouncing in waves so possible doing 3k rpm.

I start her up ..... shes fine at idle and take off, once i get to a higher speed of about 20kmh
And i hear TICK ... TICK .. TICK .
I back off and go again its the same thing .so i used the minkotta to get back

Wish i had more info but i couldnt get on plane to diagnose due to the wind

Im gonna go for a test run in the next 2 days,
Thanks
Ray

1991 nitro
1991 evinrude 60vro

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Check the prop by spinning it. Is the prop bent and hitting the casing? Is the prop shaft bent allowing the prop to hit the casing or some combo of both?

rayray89

Cadet
Prop looks visually fine , spins freely with no issues

Thanks chris for the quick reply

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
WHile she's dry, make a mark on the prop and hub. See if there's any slippage after you take her out again.

rayray89

Cadet
i just unwrapped the rope . It looped 3x and pulled tight to the bow cleat/hook

Gonna do a short test run tomorrow and listen closely

Ill google how to mark the hub

Thanks

interalian

Commander
I keep my bow line about 6" shorter than the distance to the motor for just this reason. Good luck with your diagnosis and repair.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
First thing you do is Take the prop off and check underneath it and check the plastic spacer on the nut do not run it until you check that. If you do have a problem why would you take it out and run more without doing that.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^second that. just take off the prop and have a look before running.

edit. sounds like the ticking is only in gear. may not see anything at the prop assembly, but should check before looking further.

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Along with pulling the prop for visual inspection I would drain the L.U. oil and see if you have excess metal in the oil before running further. It's only a couple bucks worth of lube at worst and may be in need of a change anyway.

rayray89

Cadet
Took the prop off and drained the LU, put it all back together and took it for a boot.... running great
Not sure what was ticking but its gone now

Thanks everyone