Lower unit intake clogged

Kylepayne86

Cadet
I just acquired a 1995 evinrude 140 v4 VRO and was wondering if someone could tell me why someone would intentionally plug the water pump intake holes on the lower unit...I thought it was hardened mud at first but I tried digging it out and realized that it is aluminum that it plugging the holes.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did they modify the lower unit for a bottom pickup or a bobs nose? That would be the only reason to plug the stock pickup location. Of so, the new lower would be pointed vs rounded and there would be a small hose from the leading edge to about middle just under the anti cav plate

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Upper holes ????-------Perhaps they were loosing water pressure.

Kylepayne86

Cadet
I'm not really familiar with boat motors so I'm not sure what a bobs nose or a bottom pickup is. Lol

Kylepayne86

Cadet
Lol. After going back out and looking at the lower unit I found that there is an attachment at the front of the lower unit with holes in it which I'm assuming it's the new water intake...And from that there is a hose from the attachment to halfway back.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Beware - could mean someone has run the snot out of that motor on a go fast.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
That's awesome! Ya learn something every day.

Kyle would ya mind giving us a few pics? I am curious how this would look on this motor.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I run my engines somewhat high on the transom to minimize lower unit drag. It's acceptable to fill the top hole on each side of a V4/V6 lower unit and not suffer from lack of water. I fill the top hole on each side. You can fill to the top two, but then inlets.jpg need to remove the rib between the bottom two and shape the lower to direct water into the remaining hole.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
that is a fair amount of corrosion on the motor. if it was mine, I would be dissassembling, blasting, re-fairing and repainting prior to new gaskets and seals.