Stator for Johnson 70 HP outbard

Jason37122

Recruit
I just bought a boat. It has a 1983 Johnson 70 hp outboard. The guy I bought it from had it diagnosed by a reputable boat mechanic as having a bad stator.He told me that the motor was an 1987, so I ordered a stator for a 1987. I got the stator and the plug on the new stator is a three pronged plug. My motor has a two pronged plug. Do I need to get the right one or could I clip the wires and put the two prong plug on the new stator and make it work?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I don't think you can do that. What's the part number of the new stator? Is it evinrude/Johnson CDI or Sierra?

Jason37122

Recruit
The new one is an OMC Johnson J70TLCUR assembly 0582730. I was afraid I may not be able to do that. Should have double checked the serial number myself before ordering

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Sure thing!

So bad news, you were right originally. That motor is a 1983. The stator in 1987 is discontinued so I am not sure how you got one. Can you take pictures of both stators and connectors and post them?

Jason37122

Recruit
I could post the pic but they look identical to the naked eye, with exception that the new one has a three pronged plug. i did not notice the difference until I tried the plug the new one and got resistance. I looked in the end and saw and the extra prong. I found new one on ebay from a boat shop in Wisconsin. He said they will take it back so I guess I will order one on line tonight but use the motor model number this time. Thanks again

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The stator you have will work I just replaced mine in my 86 with an aftermarket unit they sent both plugs with it a 2 and a 3 prong the 3rd wire is on the motor itself. Seems they are the same 6 amp stator from 1979-1988 only difference is the plug.