Homemade flywheel holder

sutor623

Rear Admiral
$7 piece of steel angle iron.

I have seen a few of these on here. Just thought Id share mine. Downside is you'll need something to cut steel, drill steel, and weld it. I have an old chop saw that I leave a metal cutting blade on and I have used it countless times. Vise holds everything so that I can drill it, and small (70 amp) arc welder that I bought a ways back for $135.

I used an impact gun to get the nut off. Main reason I needed this tool was to be able to torque the nut back on legitimately. I used small (1") bolts down into the flywheel over the puller but couldnt find them for pics....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sutor623, nice idea. Whatever works is my opinion. I can see that working quite well with the installation. Removing a flywheel nut is easy. The impact wrench will remove it without spinning the engine easily. But installing that nut back on and torqueing it, that is the problem. If you can use such a piece to hold it, you can torque it! :thumb:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
THanks GM, I am happy with it. If I ever make another one I would use a nut and bolt at the mating point of the two metals so that I could adjust it for different flywheels. Hardest thing to do here is get it to fit around the two bolts without getting in the way of the flywheel nut and socket. 140-150lbs/ft is a pretty hefty number. I'm just glad my weld didn't snap!!!! I worked on a Toyota 4runner not too long ago and it was torqued down to 320lbs/ft. Need a 6ft breaker bar for something like that!

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think you 'd better work on your welding technique.....before you get hurt! I would NOT trust that weld under that torque load!

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
instead of welding.....drill holes and put a bolt through. Then it will fit several motor sizes....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you do more welding, it will get easier and better. It looks like you welded without any shielding gas (75% Argon, 25% CO2) that MIG welder systems use. But practice makes perfect. My welding improved as I did more and more. And after a while, you can literally hear if the weld is right by the sound. If it sounds like frying bacon, it is welding good. But if it sounds like sputtering and popping and such, then something is wrong. The proper heat range and wire feed and shielding gas pressure makes all the difference... JMHO!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
If you do more welding, it will get easier and better. It looks like you welded without any shielding gas (75% Argon, 25% CO2) that MIG welder systems use. But practice makes perfect. My welding improved as I did more and more. And after a while, you can literally hear if the weld is right by the sound. If it sounds like frying bacon, it is welding good. But if it sounds like sputtering and popping and such, then something is wrong. The proper heat range and wire feed and shielding gas pressure makes all the difference... JMHO!

Yea I hear ya! Got lots of experience doing many types of things, welding not being one of them. But it took me 25 minutes to make it, held the flywheel straight when I tightened down the puller nut, and held it straight when I torqued the nut down. Changed the stator and timer base, so I shouldn't have to use that tool for a LOOONNNNGGGG time, if ever again. Had the steel laying around, so what the heck!!

I guess if I was worried about it, I could try and pop it off, grind the old weld down, and weld again. Either that or heat the steel up and re-weld the beads.........

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Weld isn't pretty, but has been holding just fine.

for the record------- I wasn't trying to show off my welding in that pic, it was just the ONLY place in my garage that isn't cluttered!! :D
Am I correct in assuming that's an AC "buzz box" you have? Even if it isn't, for it's purpose, if it holds.... who cares. And if your holes don't line up or the tool isn't designed right, the best weld in the world makes no difference.....
Been welding for food just shy of 40 years, certified July 1976

I really like your tool, will make one today!!!

sutor623

Rear Admiral
for the record------- I wasn't trying to show off my welding in that pic, it was just the ONLY place in my garage that isn't cluttered!! :D
Am I correct in assuming that's an AC "buzz box" you have? Even if it isn't, for it's purpose, if it holds.... who cares. And if your holes don't line up or the tool isn't designed right, the best weld in the world makes no difference.....
Been welding for food just shy of 40 years, certified July 1976

I really like your tool, will make one today!!!

Thanks man! Nah I didnt think you were bragging about your welds. Anyone that can weld aluminum like that has skills in my book for sure. That comment was headed towards the Iboats noob in post 4.

Funny thing is, even if the weld popped, all of the pieces are held down with bolts to the flywheel, so its not like they could fly anywhere. I had on gloves and safety goggles just in case, as I often do.

You are correct, I do have and AC arc welder. I only have 15 amp outlets in my shop so I had to run it at the low setting. I think that if I could crank up the juice some it would have come out a bit cleaner. And as GM said, using some shielding gas may have helped. (That is all over my head.)

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks man! Nah I didnt think you were bragging about your welds. Anyone that can weld aluminum like that has skills in my book for sure. That comment was headed towards the Iboats noob in post 4.

Funny thing is, even if the weld popped, all of the pieces are held down with bolts to the flywheel, so its not like they could fly anywhere. I had on gloves and safety goggles just in case, as I often do.

You are correct, I do have and AC arc welder. I only have 15 amp outlets in my shop so I had to run it at the low setting. I think that if I could crank up the juice some it would have come out a bit cleaner. And as GM said, using some shielding gas may have helped. (That is all over my head.)

that isn't aluminum; es 1/4" carbon steel on a trailer I'm building using "gasless" fluxcore wire. MIG and Fluxcore are for people that can't stick weld. Fluxcore is great and I use it, but not because I can't stick.
You might try long arcing to increase the heat - preheating w/propane torch will help. GRIND where you're going to weld and get that coating off. The only shielding gas I know of for stick welding comes out of my butt, and that only and sometimes keeps buttholes away........ hahahahhaaaa

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Ahhhh, yes a closer look yields a little rust on that metal. What is long arcing? I have a cheap set of welders goggles, but was wondering about flashburn. I guess I was kind of rushing through it because I didnt want to mess up my eyes. Can you even get flashburn from an arc welder or is that just from gas? And yea I was thinking about pre heating with a torch, but I was also concerned about warping the metal or blowing through it. Shows you how much experience I have with welding. Definitely a trade worth learning though. Even if my beads look like 3 day old horse droppings.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
pull the rod back from the base metal enough to maintain an arc and still deposit metal from it - and your puddle. It's all about rod control. Wire welding is more about whole body movement, stick is in your wrists. However, both benefit from body and wrists. You're very unlikely to blow through the thickness of angle you're showing, unless you have an acetylene torch or heat all day with propane; Even 200 amps with 1/8th 6010 will take a few seconds to get through 1/4" steel.

I've seen the prettiest welds break under little stress; and hammered dog crap hold against a D9. It's what's inside and how much penetration you're getting. Maximum penetration can be achieved under different circumstances a variety of ways; and these things may or may not be in your control. Cleanliness of materials, pre-heating not always necessary, amperage (how much heat you can use and still make a good weld), rod angle, moisture and freshness of rods, gouging the plate w/grinder is sometimes advisable, just depends.

I run a lot of heat (hi amps) for what most of what I weld, sometimes actually pushing the rod into the plate to where I can feel it. And my stubs are almost always cherry red when done. And I don't waste rods; insulators are cheap compared to welding rods!
Most popular lens is a 10 shade; if your eyes don't have trouble adjusting or see spots. I can't be the judge there and a lot of people are always saying something about a welder's eyes going bad. A retinal burn is not fun. Mine have been burnt several times and usually by another welder - still my fault....
Maybe my retinas are suntanned!!! But had Lasik 14yrs ago, was going to need reading glasses anyway, but had distance corrected (still see 20/15 at a distance) and use a cheater to weld with. But that's only if I need to pay attention to my puddle; which I rarely do anymore.
An automatic is the way to go, you can see before you strike. DO NOT BY A CHEAP HF or anything of the like, something with the fastest darkening time is best. When I was making the big bucks, I had a Miller Elite. Lasted eight years and tons of abuse. I've had this Kobalt from Lowes for two and it darkens as fast as the Miller, but still think the Miller was a better shield overall

I know many a so called professional tradesman that cannot drill holes as accurately as you have; nor, fit two pieces of angle together to look like anything but a POS.

" Skilled Craftsmen aren't cheap and cheap Craftsmen aren't skilled"

dumb tom

Cadet
I agree with the author. It is not the quality of the weld, it is the usefulness of the tool that counts. If one was to make it with a bolt instead of the weld, that would add flexability, but how strong would it be (plus, how much space would it take up.

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
I boats noob? If that was directed towards me.... Yeah new to the forum...not to outboards or welding. Spent 42 yrs. as a tech in the powersports industry. When I wasn 't doing that I was a welder on a line building the main frames for Mustang skid loaders. .... noob indeed...

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
"electron guidance technician"..... stick welding is an art form; think of the rod as a paint brush and you are guiding electrons on a steel canvas. A good welder can do all kinds of things with a welding rod. Travel speed and how you work the rod makes a difference. Your stance, how steady you can make yourself and still be relaxed. I think the best way to learn welding is to have someone "show" you a thing or two and then try to copy their moves. good luck with it!! :)

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with the author. It is not the quality of the weld, it is the usefulness of the tool that counts. If one was to make it with a bolt instead of the weld, that would add flexability, but how strong would it be (plus, how much space would it take up.

Two days later and I'm still laughing. Yeah, I can go on sometimes and I thought about that some more as I put on my cap this afternoon
http://

just because I'm down here deep doesn't mean that I am stupid. Back in '83 I had a motorcycle accident, comatose for six days, and had severe partial amnesia. I didn't even speak for 6wks after regaining consciousness and had to relearn the 3r's. In '97, I had recovered enough to attempt going back to school, but couldn't handle studying and work more than a semester. I did pass ENG111 with an A- and my typing papers lol, even today, I struggle around 12wpm!!

It's a challenge, but no matter what we do, I think a mind needs exercise; and that's all I'm doing. Additionally, it would be hypocritical of me to bash people for coming to America and not learn to speak the language if I, as a natural born citizen am going to communicate online knowing nothing more than a few acronyms. If what I write here were to be graded, am certain that it would be thrown out for errors. But, I try..... and I try in geometry, too. Notice the spring/shackle mounts on the trailer - the welds are not perfect, but then, it's gasless fluxcore and "the sun don't shine on the same dog's behind every day" :)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
sutor623, I wouldn't worry about your home-made tool. If it worked for you, and it looks like it did, then move on and forget about the welds at this time... The job is done anyways and all is well... :thumb: