1954 7.5 stator plate loose screws

oven

Recruit
New to forum I have a 1954 7.5 that the stator plate wobbled i found the ring that it screws to was upside down(taper side up) I corrected it but when you tighten the screws the plate binds any body have advice?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
You are saying when you tighten down the 4 screws for the mag (stator) plate, 2 short, and 2 long through coils, that the stator plate binds up and will not rotate?

Did you clean the old grease, and add a new thin smear of grease? Don't add too much though, or it will foul the points.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Might have the wrong screws. If someone has replaced them in the 60 years since new, they may be too long and are bottoming out.

AlTn

Commander
probably didn't make this mistake, but the long screws go through the coils

oven

Recruit
Thanks for the response the parts were cleaned and lubricated with teflon lube the screws are not extending past the aluminum collar.It is sandwitching the brass plate between the stator plate and the aluminum collar that it screws into anymore ideas?

oven

Recruit
Yes I have found that tef lube works better than grease the problem is mechanical. When I tighten the screws it clamps the brass collar between the stator plate and the aluminum ring. I can't see any way to create a slight gap to allow it to rotate. I appreciate the help

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Im assuming this worked fine before you took it apart?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think the ring properly goes in with the taper side up; support goes in on top, and fits over the taper. thinking maybe you inverted the ring.

Last edited:

oven

Recruit
the reason I got into this is that the plate wobbled after researching the problem I found that the ring was installed with the taper up and should have been down flat side up. This solved the wobble problem but created the binding one.I saw where some one else had the same problem but I can't find the post.Thanks for the brain storming.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Every universal magneto I have seen uses the flat side up !!!-----Any pictures ???----Are the screws original or has someone installed longer ones ?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yes, taper side goes down.

Is the brass retainer ring warped or bent? There really isn't a whole lot it can be.

AlTn

Commander
so we're all on the same page...would you go a parts diagram at marine engine dot com....1955 7.5 hp. page 6...part #32...is your retaining ring installed like this?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
interesting. same page, but curious result.

I have a '57 parts motor (5 1/2) that I was able to easily check, and the taper is down, seemingly contrary to the parts blow ups AITn notes ('57 diagram too -- very odd). Tried to reverse it on my parts motor just for grins, and the assembly was......wobbly.

(so....agree with Racerone and Chinewalker that the tapered end of the ring should face down -- and think the assembly would be wobbly if reversed, as Oven says.)

Oven -- sure the screws are causing the binding? Backing them out a bit frees it up?

The link and stop assembly underneath the plate could bind, I guess, if the screws hold it up in place were not tight. Also, the plug wires might bind if not clamped up under there.

edit. If assembling and testing without the coils in place, might be just sinking the coil screws too deeply (binding).

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
the brass arm that's attached to the stator plate and goes over to the vertical shaft...you haven't managed to get that caught between the support ring and retaining plate?...did that once myonself,,for a wth moment