Tilt and Trim goes down on it's own

castlewag

Cadet
I have a 2000 Johnson 50hp outboard motor and the tilt and trim will intermittently go down on it's own. When in the up position, it will sometimes set for days, but then the motor will come on and it will go down on it's own. Even if it is only slightly up it will do the same thing. I recently had the hydraulic seals replaced and have no leaks. Any ideas why this would happen?

Last edited:

phillnjack2

Ensign
keep purging the system as it sounds like air in the system. also check the manual release screw it tightened up.

castlewag

Cadet
It's the motor that runs that is lowering the motor. It comes on and off on it's own.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
It could be a bad tilt/trim relay or a bad switch in the cowl or the control handle.

castlewag

Cadet
I'm starting to think it might be the switch in the control handle. The switch in the cowl was disconnected and taped up years ago by the previous owner. My problem now might be finding a replacement switch for the control handle as I've been told they are no longer made and there is no replacement.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Find where the wiring comes out of the switch for the control handle and disconnect that and let it sit for a few days and see if the problem goes away.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Got the exact model # for the motor ?? Is the T/T switch mounted in the handle or on the dash ??

castlewag

Cadet
The motor is an ARCO 6242 and the T/T switch is mounted in the handle. I'll disconnect the switch wiring this week and let it set to see if that's it. Thank you.

Last edited:

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a 1991 Johnson 150 Faststrike (miss that motor). It started randomly rising on its own. It turned out to be a bare wire grounding out in the throttle handle.

castlewag

Cadet
We've had a lot of rain recently and it will continue until hurricane Juaquin moves north. I'll take a look at it this week to see if there are any bare wires or moisture causing a short. I'm also going to take Boobie's advice and disconnect the switch to see if the problem continues. Thank you.

castlewag

Cadet
I disconnected the switch that comes out of the throttle and the issue stopped. I went to the local marine store to buy a replacement switch and the mechanic told me that if the seals were recently replaced and new hydraulic fluid was added and bled then I should run the T and T as much as possible to get all the internal parts functioning properly. I've never heard of that, but I'll give it a try and see if it helps. Anyone have any experience with or heard of this?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
If you disconnected the switch and the issue stopped you need a new switch. Fairly common problem. Unless you have a re-powered boat on an old set of controls the switch is probably still available. What control do you have? Maybe a pic?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Try blowing compressed air in to the switch and see if you have a moisture problem; have had that before. Good luck

castlewag

Cadet
No Title

The controls are the original. I couldn't find any identifying labels, names, or numbers on the controls. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo232422.jpg
    photo232422.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232423.jpg
    photo232423.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo232424.jpg
    photo232424.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Those are available, seems to me you need to make sure there was a amperage reducer kind of thing installed during rigging, its a black box connected in the trim tilt circuit (red,green,and blue wires). They had a problem with the switches originally.

castlewag

Cadet
Well, I'm back to the switch. As jakedaawg mentioned above, they had a problem with the switches originally. Once the switch is disconnected, the problem stops. Jakedaawg, you mentioned above that the switches are available. Do you have a manufacturer, part number, and possibly a picture of the switch and the connecting wires or plug? Thanks.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
It is so hard for me to look up the part number for those things. I let the parts guy at the dealership do it. Just tell him what you have. Do make sure to check that there is that black box thingy in hooked up in the wiring. It should be somewhere near the helm and connected to the red blue and green wires.

castlewag

Cadet
There is a black box. I think I need OMC part 176521, but it is discontinued and an extensive search of the internet through various search engines shows 0 available. I can't even find a replacement! I might have to rewire the original with a different switch which I can place anywhere on the console.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Call your dealer, they are available, or were earlier this summer, I replaced two. emdsapmgr may be able to tell you, he seems really good with part numbers as well as being an expert tech. Maybe he will pop in here.

Seems like some of the parts from the bankrupt time don't supercede well from OMC to BRP. Just my little thinking. SS and SI year parts are sometimes tricky especially for the accessories.

Last edited: