Stick steering cable repair 25 Johnson

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought a little 14 jon boat with a 25E78C on it yesterday. It looks to be in really good shape other than the stick steering cable is broken. How do I go about repairing/replacing the cable.

You can see the broken cable in the picture.

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class

This picture is at the stick steering control. It looks like the connector will just screw off.

This is the connector at the motor end. Again, it looks like it just screws on and off.

Are these cables readily available? Anyone have any experience/advice as to how to proceed.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bullie, looks like you don't have the typical tilt tube engine setup for stick steering. So you may have a little more problem with your replacement cable. I have a similar situation with my old Johnson OB as well. I can't find a replacement for my old Morse Control unit cable so I have to replace the entire stick steering controls. They run about ~ $300 dollars delivered, but comes with all new controls and cable and everything you'll nee to replace yours. I am sure that isn't what you wanted to hear, but that is a way to fix such a setup. If you can find a manufacturer name, you could contact them for just the cable portion. Otherwise, a new setup is the answer. I am presently looking at an Ezy Glide Stick II Boat Steering system. JMHO!

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not what I wanted to hear but it is sort of what I expected. There had to be a reason the PO let this boat sit for 10 years and then sell it for cheap (500). At least I thought it was cheap at the time. Oh well, still looks like a good little boat and should fly with just one person in it. I think the motor is a carb cleaning away from running. And, honestly, I don't even know if it will need that if put up dry. 125 compression on both holes and 1/2 jump on spark. Can you tell I am trying to make myself feel better? Ha.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Ezy Glide Steering.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Bullie, before you abandon your present setup for a new one, look all over the unit to see if you can see any manufacture name or model. Then see if that manufacture is still offering replacement cables. You could save a hundred dollars that way. But if you have any problems with the unit other then the cable, I would go for new. JMHO!

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will do that. It would be nice just to get a cable. Thanks again.