sunk my boat-sell or fix

loveyraven

Recruit
we have a johson 75hp 1973. It's an outboard and it ran beautifully. It didn't have a bilge pump and was taking on water. We added on then it went out. it sunk in about 16ft of water, we got it out, pulled the spark plugs and ran it, starter works, but the head seems to have pressure. We want to sell it but not sure if we should try to get it running or just sell it cheaper. before we were offered $1200 for it from a machanic. Help unsure what cost to fix might be looking like.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: sunk my boat-sell or fix

Would you give me the name of the guy who offered $1200?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Welcome to iboats.<br /><br />Besides the motor, there are the cables and electrical fixtures to consider. They work now but they'll rust up before long. Electric starter too. If you decide to sell, it'll be as salvage. Make absolutely certain that the buyer is aware of that fact!

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if it sit a while with the water in it it will ruin it but if you will drain and flush out the inside of the block with alcohal. the alcohol will mix with water drain and then fill inside with oil and gass mix and drain it would be ok . dont let it sit with the water in the block .after draining crank and run . to git the liquid into the block pull the plugs and tilt back and pour in the top plug hole with the cylinder down . i would sprey the under hood componants with a dryer sprey you can git at any parts store . the kind that is used to dry out a distrubitor . then aply a grease that is used for outboard eletrick conections .

papasage

if you have run the motor . what preasure are you talking about . the cylinders should have 125 compreshion on each ctylinder . could be more or less . mine has 125lbs.

loveyraven

Recruit

the starter will try to crank but it won't move the head, and when we use the pull cord it is hard to move like there is pressure in it. We pulled the plugs and ran it and it sprayed water out. Is that a bad sign. This all happened over labor day weekend. We tried to run it again last week and the starter and everything works but one plug is broken. Compression seems fine when spark plugs are out but when they are in is when it seems to build pressure and keeps the head from turning.

funpilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm sorry, but typically, you need to keep a motor submerged until you have time to dry it out or disassemble it. The bearings can rust something awful once air is allowed to react with the wet metal.<br /><br />I thought papasage had some good ideas, but that would only work if done almost immediatly, not a couple of months after the incident.<br /><br />I rebuilt a 120 hp Sport Jet engine (it is like a force powerhead) that had been submerged a few years before. I sunk a lot of TLC and parts into the engine, but the rig was a 1995, so well worth going through the boat and motor. Also, I always kind of wanted a jet boat, and it was FREE.<br /><br />I think it will take more than your rig is worth to fix everything. I'm sorry.<br /><br />fp

papasage

i would still put oiland gass mix in it it mit preserve the parts and git what water is in there out . it has ben a while but remember the inside is oiley from the gas and oil mix . it might need to be taken apart and checked . all it will take is a gasket set if it hasent rusted. if you can do it yourself . if you have a shop to do it you can buy a good used motor for the labor.i would like to have it for parts as i have one just like it and need pistons . papasage

ledgefinder

Ensign

Freshwater submersion and no silt, you're OK if you can run it immediately to dry it out (obviously spin the motor with the plugs out first). By "run" I mean run it for 15 minutes, not just spin it on the starter.<br /><br />Saltwater, or silty water, or if it's sat for more than a few hours without being run - forget it, it's history. The lower unit is probably still good.

loveyraven

Recruit

okay confused, I ran it imediately with plugs out, but it just spins that way. But it won't run with the plugs in, it's like there is pressure built up and wont alow it spin. I am confused, it it "ran" then I wouldn't be asking about it. I just don't know much about boats so I guess I am confused.

ledgefinder

Ensign

By "run", I mean burn gasoline in the cylinders, - not spin it using the starter motor. <br /><br />It's the heat of combustion that dries the motor out.<br /><br />Unless it was run (burning gasoline) right after it was submerged, there will be rust & pitting where the needle bearings touch the crank and piston pins (and other places). You will put a lot of time & effort into getting the motor running again, but it'll throw a rod after a couple hours. If you sell it without telling the buyer, you deserve whatever you have coming when it blows up.<br /><br />Because the motor couldn't be run, unfortunately it is shot. The powerhead and electrical components are either dead now, or will likely fail soon.

loveyraven

Recruit

okay we ran a new gas mix after it happened, but it won't start, I suppose that is normal. The hull is still in great shape, maybe I could get a couple hundred for that. What would I get for a salvage?

DHPMARINE

Captain

Go figure,32 year old motor,someone offers $1200,and you don't take it?Get cash.<br />If the guy knows it was sunk,and wants to pay that price,that could be why he's a machanic.(GRIN)<br /><br />DHP

BugEyes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now remove the carbs, drain the float bowls and blow them clean. Remove the reed valves and drain any water in the crank by putting it "face down". Blow out aný water under the flywheel if not too late, preferrably remove the flywheel and dry everything. Change the plugs because you probably already ruined them. If you have a spark it should start now. Run it until it gets warm on rich oil mix and you should be OK.<br />I had a 20 hp johnson submerged while running and recovered it one year later. Had to knock the pistons loose in the bores with a rubber club. That motor served me for two more years until I sold it with the boat.<br />Don't sell the motor without telling what happened, that would be dishonest.

loveyraven

Recruit

no this was before it sunk, it was when we tuned it up for the summer... yes if someone offered that now hell ya I would take it.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Speaking from personal experience - sometimes you get lucky despite what the pundits say.<br /><br />Like Pikefisher says, you need to do at least a partial stripdown to stand any chance, and don't be mean with the oil or maintenance spray.<br /><br />Unless you have a real go at it, you might just as well sell it as a scrapper and get scrap value for it. The next guy might spend a fortune on it to get it running or he might be the one to strike lucky.<br /><br />I'm talking fresh water immersion here. With salt water - unless you strip it immediately, you don't stand a chance.<br /><br />This is the season of good news, right?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Years back I had an 80 hp Merc that got salt water inside and it was not economically repairable. I donated it to a local vocational tech school and took a tax deduction as a charitable contribution. That might be better than scrap value.