RESCUE

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
working on the transom, my hammer fell all of two feet and broke the end off of the throttle cable. This one's fifteen feet long, but for five bucks!!! A new one would be over a $100 and have to be bought in individual parts. I'm guessing that trying to live right really pays off in more ways than one...
http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0023_zpsboqmcoex.jpg.html]

long/round black piece in the center is the broken one[/URL]

phillnjack2

Ensign
for $5 that is far betterthan brand new and will add to the vintage of the engine. so far you've cleaned loads of stuff up. BUT why not spend $10 on a little borescope for your phone or pc and take a good look inside before finding out it is scrap after all.

now if it turns out bad, with your welding and looking on the net you can make a fantastic coffee table out of it and lots more.

I would sooner of wanted to know if the main block is ok before doing anything to it at all..
I hope this turns out to be a runner, but a doubt it, someone dumped it for a reason, and that was probably because it dont work any good.

now I know you have a compressor so why not get some soda and blast everything with it to clean it up perfect.
the flywheel inside could be cleaned perfect with soda as too can all the exhaust housing in the gearbox and the thru hub exhaust,
then simple rinse with water and hey presto like new..

if this runs good you have a great engine to have a bit of fun with, but dont start spending 10 here and there as before you know it there is too much in the engine.
I am sure like me there is lots of people on here waiting to hear this motor run, we are all crossed fingers and legs, but we cant stay like this too long, so hurry up and try to run it.
forget about all the other stuff around you, concentrate on this beast.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
believe it or not, I AM hurrying! And that "someone scrapped it for some reason" is SOME why I haven't been in a rush. It was part of an estate that was repossessed after the original owner died. But that's where the trail ends and can find no history of how it was used or if it was? Not much for sure....

I don't drink or drug, no wife or children, my working days are over.....; if I have to get another motor, I have to get another motor. Oh well, this has been something to do. Not that I don't have enough to do, am in the middle of replacing my transom. And this motor plays a large part in my replacing the transom.
Doesn't look like today - heavy downpours, pushed my boat back in the garage/\kinda tight in there!!

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
if this runs good you have a great engine to have a bit of fun with
Thanks for the input!! Just finding this beast was probably the "single" most exciting thing in my life - in some ways. But have had to let that go... "my serenity is inversely proportionate my expectations".

Never expected this to be a "turn key" and ready to go. It has been a lot of fun just messing with it ='s entertainment value exceeding any theme park, football game etc.
Hooked it up to my "still under construction" boat the other day, and no spark. Will address that in the next few days... weather permitting?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
wasn't interested in a great repair job; will replace power pack anyway, wire insulation in bad shape. Anti reverse was shorting out - found wires underneath sleeve which are laying on back of pack.
Globbed liquid tape just for testing - and I haven't yet. I'm really thinking someone robbed some parts of this motor because a coil wire was hooked in the wrong spot on Bussbar.
http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0005_zps9106vvho.jpg.html]

whether she fires or not, this power pack is going in the trash[/URL]

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
everywhere I've looked, the part number's the same for the power pack and other parts on these two motors, but have been reluctant to change packs because the 100 has 3 wires going to the timer base and sensor - 115 only has two for the sensor. Guess I could leave the one green wire loose/taped off because it was a ground wire for anti-reverse spring.
Additionally, had a problem with the 100 shutting off after it warmed up; and no one, I mean NO ONE has ever figured out why. Thought it might be the PP, but it was new - still kinda is.... guess I'll be chasing my tail again tomorrow.... :lol:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Don't know who's looking at what lol, but I'm still farting around with this transom << http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...5-can-of-worms >> And the question came up about battery cables. I used to have ten feet of 1/0 cable running to the pos/neg cables for the 100HP and a shop told me the battery needed to be closer to the motor - said they created a voltage drop. That the 100esl72r ran off the battery.

This sound right? or do I need explain more? typing is not my friend!! :lol:

edit... or PS: Shop moved the battery aft, put a used stator on, reamed me some!! and didn't fix the problem. Am over that for sure, just wondering about with this one 115esl70d and putting cables back on for midsection battery location

Last edited: