1996 johnson 90 hp bogging down while trying to plane

jhetty

Recruit
Okay guys I have searched and tried almost everything I usually take boat out 2-3 times a month well I let it sit 3 weeks in storage took it out for some weekday fishing was a little tough to start but got it fired up take of will not get past 3000 rpms anywhere past 2500 starts bogging and missing changed the plugs on the water did not change pump bulb while running did not change good news is I atlas caught alot of fish Spent all day today working on it Removed carbs cleaned thoroughly ran tip cleaner through all the Jets they had new kits in them about 6 months ago Replaced inline filter and spin on separator Went ahead replaced all fuel line with new bulb I have not checked compression yet but would assume it's good trip before this one ran great wouldn't imagine it'd lose compression sitting Check spark and all wire connections are good 3 months ago I installed new plugs wires 4 coils and cdi box Not sure where to look next it idles great starts good runs the 2500 great but will not take anymore has good power would lift bow and dig boat deep I would think fuel issue but carbs were spotless cleaned with tip cleaned all 6 jets Not sure where to check next any ideas?? 1996 90 hp johnson vro is disabled properly I mix 50:1 and run seafood every 3rd tank I also run premium fuel everytime boat is an 18ft kenner tunnel 1996 model Thank you for reading any help is greatly appreciated trying to save a trip to the shop

hidef

Lieutenant
Based on your description I would say the engine is going into slow mode. Most likely cuased by by a faulty temp sensor or an issue with one of the tan wires. Unplug the tan wire going into the powerpack if the engine goes above 2500 RPM you have found the issue. See page 60 of the CDI troubleshooting guide.

jwilliams41

Recruit
i have a 60hp evinrude that is kind of doing the same thing and this is one of the answers i got..

If the engine runs better with the choke on, that is an indication that the engine is running lean. (too little fuel) (The choke provides a little more fuel to the engine.)
You can do a simple fuel test. When it's bogging, have a friend constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. This will provide more fuel to the carbs. If it runs fine at WOT as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb, you have fuel supply problem. This could include a fuel restriction or even a weak fuel pump. The problem with a fuel restriction logic is that the engine should run poorly most all of the time. A problem that is intermittent would seem to be a spark issue. So, when the engine is bogging and you do the fuel bulb test, I'd also be prepared to do a spark test on all 3 plugwires. It's possible that when the engine warms up that one cyl is not firing.

just a tip from one of the posters on my forum.. hope this helps!!

jhetty

Recruit
Spark is great on all four I tried the temp sensors unplugged one unplugged both no change I'm beginning to wonder if new cdi is bad as it is swelled up