1979 evinrude 140 hp leaking gas from carb during choke

sandflea18

Recruit
Bought a140943 evinrude that had been sitting in the field for years, have spent 2 months restoring it, now I'm ready to test run. Completly rebuilt the carbs and the engine will fire up and run for a bit. I notice that when I choke the engine for start there is an extreme amount of fuel dripping out of the carbs, I don't think this is healthy. I need to find the cause of this condition before I can continue with my set up. I'm at a loss, with rebuilt, carbs as to where I need to go next.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the motor tilted up slightly ?-----If it is then this is normal.----Your choke system is working very well.-------Did you remove the high speed jets found in the botom of the float bowls ?---They are screwed in and about 5/8" long.----Was there dirt / gum in the carburetors ?------Do you have strong spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on all leads.

sandflea18

Recruit
The engine initially was tilted and I leveled it, the spillage seemed less, however, still there. I replaced the high speed orfices, some gum indicated on the originals. Also I removed/replaced the plugs and cleaned all all bores into the cavitys. I do have fair spark, 10mm

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The fuel may be coming as a result of the float adjustment. Possible the float is sticking or is improperly installed. OMC kits come with new floats and needle/seats. Did you install them during your carb overhaul?

sandflea18

Recruit
Yes, I did that, but I'm going back into the carbs tomorrow, perhaps you are right about the sticky float..
As a question in point, if "splash over" is normal for the choke models, is the purpose of the vent hose from the intake manifold to air silencer to get rid of the excess fuel vapor caused by "splash over" that I think could cause an explosion?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It's not unsual for those engines to drip a little fuel from the front of the carbs, esp. when the engine is tilted up after running. Any fuel that runs out of the carbs to the bottom of the airbox will get sucked back into cyl #4 when re-started again. Engine may smoke somewhat heavily for about 30 seconds while it ingests that extra fuel. Then it will run normally. This whole scenario is common on the older crossflows like yours. Helps to keep a good/new gasket around the aibox cover.

sandflea18

Recruit
Okay,good info,it seemsthat I'm on the right track. Thanks for the help, have a great day.