1985+ Evinrude 65HP Commercial, No Spark, No Power

Leemc2004

Recruit
Hi there,<br /><br />I've just joined up for some expert advice...I've checked the FAQ and printed off the "Outboard Wont Start" article. Now...My engine starter doesnt spin and my solenoid doesnt click when I go to turn the start the engine. It says to check the voltage at small solenoid terminal, can someone please tell me what this looks like and how to check it? thanks.<br /><br />If there is no power to this then its going to be either kill switch, battery, starter switch or neutral start switch in controller and if there is power then replace solenoid.<br /><br />Hope one of you pro's out there can help...even quick sketched diagrams would be amazing.<br /><br />I know the engine is newer than 1985 but dont know the actual age.<br /><br />Many Thanks<br /><br />Lee

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: 1985+ Evinrude 65HP Commercial, No Spark, No Power

Lee,<br />I'll try to point you in the right direction....<br /><br />Make sure you have power at the battery,and clean those wires and terminals.<br />Now clean the other ends of the wires and terminals.<br />Check for voltage at the big red terminal at the solenoid,and the block.(ground).<br />If you have voltage,momentarily connect the big red terinal to the small terminals,one at a time.One connection should spark,the other should crank the engine.<br /><br />Go this far,andI'll try to help more.<br /><br />DHP

Leemc2004

Recruit
Re: 1985+ Evinrude 65HP Commercial, No Spark, No Power

ok thanks, I'll try and get down to the boat tomorrow evening and I'll re post what happens.<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Lee