200 HP Johnson Ocean - Cylinders full of fuel

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone. I have a 2000, 200 HP Johnson J200VXSSS model engine that I am having some issues with. After noticing it beginning to bog down and run poorly it hydro-locked on me and I noticed a sheen on the water. I was NOT under power when it hydro-locked and was simply sitting at the dock. I pulled the boat and removed the spark plugs and cranked her over. A ton of gas came shooting out of the bottom 2 cylinders (I disabled the ignition spark before cranking)

I originally thought there was a slight chance of it being a carb with an open float so I removed the carb banks from the intake. I left all of the fuel lines hooked up and primed the bulb where I found that NO fuel was flowing from the carbs, so the floats were doing their job as they should.

I started messing around with the fuel pump system and basically found that when I prime the fuel system with the primer bulb, the hose coming out of the fuel pump assembly going to the pulse limiter is squirting gas right into the engine. as I pumped the primer bulb, there was a 3 second delay then fuel pouring out of the bottom port side cylinder through the spark plug hole (assuming this is cylinder 6). I removed the pulse limiter from the engine and hooked the fuel line back up to it while it was in my hands and fuel flowed through freely as I pumped the primer bulb. My question, is this my issue? Should fuel be able to pass through the fuel pump and back through the pulse limiter? If not, what do you guys think is the problem? If so, what is the solution? A simple rebuild on the fuel pump, or would it need an entire fuel pump assembly? I've rebuilt them before but never had this issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yep, it makes sense... the fuel pump is driven by the lower cylinders. The fuel pump diagram is shot. A rebuild kit should get you back on the water.

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yep, it makes sense... the fuel pump is driven by the lower cylinders. The fuel pump diagram is shot. A rebuild kit should get you back on the water.

Thanks Dingbat. I tried looking for the rebuild kit online and I can't seem to locate one. If it isn't much trouble for someone who knows right where to look, can someone please post a part number. In the parts list it says to look under "engine accessories" for the pump kit, but I can't seem to locate it.

mutiny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Nevermind. I believe I located the parts. Thanks again.