Add power trim to 1977 Evinrude 85 hp

Islandtime78

Recruit
Can I install a power trim unit on a 1977 85hp Evinrude that has a power assist from the factory?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The 77 85 hp engine had an option for power trim and tilt. It was not the newer style, however. It used a set of dual rams, mounted outside the transom brackets and mounted to a large lift bracket that was bolted to the swivel bracket. It was not the neat-looking arrangement that you see today, but it worked. These units have been NLA for probably 20 years and parts for them are getting hard to come by. You can compare the parts for this trim setup with the newer style which came out first on the 140 hp units in 1977. Check out this factory parts website: epc.brp.com Aftermarket units are also available that will also perform this function. See any dealer and have a look in his Land N Sea marine parts catalog.

Islandtime78

Recruit
Can you tell if this is the correct unit?
$_57.JPG

64osby

Admiral
The correct unit would look like this.

fetch

They will pop up on x bay once in a blue moon. They usually run from $250 to 400. Parts / seals are hard to come by. IMO your money would be better spent on an aftermarket unit like a CMC.

The CMC's are pricey new, have seen a few used on CL. They hold there value very well and work well from what I have heard / read from others.

Last edited:

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer
I read somewhere that with very little work, you can adapt newer style swivel and transom brackets to the older V4s.
I've never done it but It may be worth looking into as parts for the 80s V4 motors are easy to find.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The main problem is that swivel bracket. The stock one on the engine does not have the two thrust pads for the trim pegs. That has to be the newer style. Which means the whole engine has to come apart in order to change out the swivel bracket-if it will even fit onto an older model... The best/cheapest option might be to buy a junk 1977 85/115 hp engine just for a working trim system.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can't own anything without messing with it! Some out of need, some just because... Bought a used CMC POJ on Craigslist for $150 a few years ago. It lasted one season, but was old anyway. Then bought a new Volvo-Penta motor/pump and hoses for remote mounting for just over $200.
2in1 - t/t with 6" off the transom