Help please. ATTEMPTING to get more speed out of Skeeter SS140

waters2415

Recruit
I have a 93 Skeeter SS140 with a Evinrude 150 xp. I'm running a 24 pitch raker. I'm running 56-58 GPS speed. Any suggestions or mods to engine to get speed up in the 60s

S.A. Baker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Get a bigger motor! You know all those bass pro speed freaks are running 200 horse or better?! :)

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Going to depend on how many RPM's you are running wide open. You may be getting all she has to give. However, if you are turning lower RPM's, then you can reduce the pitch of your prop for more RPM's. 5500 - 5800 max.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Make sure your setup is optimized first. Be sure the engine is mounted correctly. If it's too low, you'll get poor performance and fuel economy and lower speed. Once you are sure it's mounted high enough, then get the right prop to match the rpm's that TD stated. In order to make sure you can run the engine at a higher mounting, you can modify your gearcase water intakes as pictured. inlets.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a 93 Skeeter SS140 with a Evinrude 150 xp. I'm running a 24 pitch raker. I'm running 56-58 GPS speed. Any suggestions or mods to engine to get speed up in the 60s

welcome aboard. your boat should do at least 65 on the highway on a trailer behind your truck.

seriously, we need to know real GPS speed, and engine RPM at WOT to comment on your current prop.

what is the max HP the boat is rated for? you may need a bigger motor.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Jack it up and put a racing style lower nose cone on it with a low water pick up. I think Bob's still makes one for that lower. That should be good for 4-6 mph.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That engine has low compression heads and a high max timing setting. It will respond well to the addition of a set of high compression heads (with a decrease in max timing) and a set of rubber intake manifold filler blocks. Check out a 1979 235 for those parts.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Jack it up and put a racing style lower nose cone on it with a low water pick up.
If the engine does not have enough hp a nose cone will actually slow you down as the overtrimming can make the nosecone pull transom deeper in water.Boat that run the upper 60-70's with stock units will benefit from one..You speed is about correct for all purpose use set-up

gm280

Supreme Mariner
The only thing to help out is to reduce drag. And that IS one reason to move the engine up a little...hence a Jack Plate. Hydraulic type even better. Obvious a stainless steel prop because it is thinner in design then aluminum props of the same sizes. Keep the frontal profile as small as possible. Windshield and the like robs top end speed. Anything that presents either water drag or air drag needs to be looked at. I do understand that need for speed. I actually went through that same phase many many moons ago myself. But is reality, a boat that runs 58 instead of 61 really isn't getting you back to the weigh ins any quicker... JMHO!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
4-blade stainless props can be a benefit to a heavy bass boat. The drag of the 4th blade can be overcome by the extra bow lift the 4 blade provides. Less boat in the water, the faster it will run.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
pin stripes and some big fuzzy dice will get you a few mph or knots!! Seriously though, I had an '84 Skeeter 185 Starfire, much heavier than yours. With a 150 Black Max and a 24p 3 blade SS - took it to a prop shop and had them prop it out and a "professional" rework the prop. Set the manual jack plate, too.

GET A WATER PRESSURE GAUGE!! if you're going to be trimming up for max performance or not, get one anyways. My best was 72mph running @6,200rpm on a near empty tank by myself. Mercs turn a little higher. Had amazing boat control with that prop, also, could pop up and run on the skeg anytime above 5000 and stay up.

Loaded with two people and gear, livewells full, and that puny 18gal gas tank lol - 65 was about average.

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and for the record - Skeeter used 10ga wires for the trolling motor which was a 12/24V MotorGuide, needles to say caught fire one day and my dog jumped overboard!! While I burnt my fingers disconnecting the batteries! Later rewired with 6ga flat industrial (was easier to fish underneath deck) and installed an accessory plug. Hijacked the old lady's TomTom for GPS for speed tests.

Had three seasons on a brand new powerhead when she hit 72mph. There's a lot going on at that speed and a delicate balance. As soon as I looked at the tach and water pressure gauge, backed out of it. Propped to run 5750 with two people (375lbs +or-) with a 24p; water pressure usually at 20+ lbs at WOT. Water pressure had dropped to 15ish with top two holes plugged and bottom four bored out.

I hear it all the time, "plug the top hole or two". That's OK "if" the bottom ones are bored out to get the volume back.
Sold in '06 and she still ran great!!
Best O Luck with yours! luv a Skeeter!!