1996 Johnson 90Hp 2-stroke model # (J90LEDA)

Ed_araya

Recruit
Bought the boat with outboard specified this summer and was able to use it the whole summer. I have always had problems starting but once it starts, i can re-start easily. Now, 3 weeks from the last time I used it, it wont start at all. Tried many things I found on the net like, priming properly, choke for 8-10 seconds, battery is good, disconnected the lanyard switch (black wire with yellow stripe), check my ignition coils, check ohms of wires coming from the stator (under the flywheel) and my readings were good. (brown wire 11ohms, the other bundle of wires with different colors one is white got 450-500 ohms in each). Someone told me I could have a bad power pack which I already ordered. The problem now is i'm not getting any sparks from all plugs. Question is, is there anything that I might have missed after what i have mentioned already?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First thing first Ed, :welcome: to iboats. great to have you aboard...

There are other things that can effect ALL the cylinders from having spark. You have both a timer base and sensor assembly and a power pack module. Both can have an impact on the spark. And sadly to say, both are not cheap either. So make certain yours is bad before buying any replacement. I think there are instructions on how to troubleshoot your ignition system. So I would certainly find them and follow their technique to verify parts being good or bad... I think those instructions are at the top of this forum. So have a look and see first... JMHO!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----Slow cranking will mean poor / no spark on motors.------Push the key in while cranking to start the motor !--I am saying that excessive cranking may have burned out the starter.---I see this all the time too.---Myself I would take the starter apart for inspection and testing.----Throwing parts at the motor and guessing gets expensive.

Ed_araya

Recruit
starter is ok as it cranks really good..tach indicates around 1000rpm.. i was really hoping that its the power pack as i have it ordered already. any idea on how one could damage their power pack?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Likely your poor starting and the fact that it won't run are probably two different problems. Agree, test your timer base and stator prior to purchase of the power pack would have been advised. You can fine some excellent cranking voltage tests at this website: cdielectronics.com. Look for their troubleshooting guide, then your particular engine (crossflow) Keep in mind you will need a "peak reading" voltmeter to test cranking outputs. Typically, if they test good, then look at the pack.

Ed_araya

Recruit
i was only able to do resistance test on the stator and the triggers as I dont have the DVA adaptor for now. I search on the net for the resistance values of a good stators and I got the same. Leading me to jump to concluding that it is the powerpack.

Hi racerone, i think i have a pretty decent understanding of how a capacitor discharge ignition works (powerpack). the capacitors in the powerpack get charged by the current produce by the stator and discharges this current at the timing set with the trigger mech. and the discharged current is sent to the ignition coil where its transformed to higher voltage on the 2ndary winding before going to the spark plugs. one thing i don't know for sure about it is how i could have possibly damage / break it?

I have the habit of leaving the keys to the ignition. and one time i left it on the on position and after 2wks in the garage battery died. I charged the battery without taking it out of the boat (laziness) with the terminals to the engine. Do you think it may be related to the powerpack going bad?

thanks guys for the help. Ill let you know what happen when I have the new power pack installed

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Keep your eye on that battery. If you leave the key on and the battery drains down-then sits for a significant period of time, the internal plates start to suflate. When this happens, the life and capability of the battery are shortened. You may even find that one cel may start to go bad. You may be able to salvage it, but keep your eye on it. I'd do a load test on it before starting out next time. You don't want it to fail when you're 5 miles from home. Not likely that it' affected the power pack..

Ed_araya

Recruit
The powerpack I ordered arrived today and I had just installed it. I cleaned the spark plug tips as they are black and wet. Then the boat started just after 2 cranks. I can't wait to get back in the water. Thanks emdsapmgr for the advise on battery maintenance. I'll have that it mind.

Thanks for all the inputs about my motor troubleshooting.