1977 70 hp evinrude shift control box wiring

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
I recently bought a 1977 Evinrude 70 hp outboard from a friend. It ran for him, except he had a fuel problem. I fixed that, ran great. Then I decided to put the control box in my boat that came off the motor. I was not happy with the way my old one worked, just small things. I changed everything around, hooked it all up, and it wouldn't fire. I opened the control box , and find 2 wires with one loose end on each. One black, I figure a ground, about 2", and the other one purple about 4 to 5 " from where it t's. I'm terrible with wiring and what things are called, but here goes. The black one comes out of the rubber encasing the shift cable, and I don't see it coming out anywhere else. The purple one comes from the ignition switch, t's and one side goes to a round about 1 1/2" by 3/4" cylinder with wires attached, and the other side is my loose wire. I cannot find any information in my book on the wiring in that shift control box. I'm guessing I would be safe hooking the black wire up to a loose screw inside the box. I forgot, one screw was very loose inside. Please correct me if I'm wrong. But no idea what to do with the purple wire. I took the control box apart that was for my old motor and it doesn't have this purple wire that is hanging loose. Where do I hook it up. I figure both were pulled loose when the marine shop took it off his boat. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
The starter works fine, turning over fine. It's like the kill switch has been pulled, but there isn't one on it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
check you a getting spark, it might be a short in the kill circuit grounding it out

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
I have a good spark, it started fine before I changed controllers, and started fine for my friend. I hooked what I thought was ground up to the loose screw. I have 12.6 volt between the 2 (black and purple) wires. Taped up the end of the loose purple wire, rehooked the battery and it started. I guess I'll see what doesn't work. Thanks Bosunsmate for the color code info. Actually I have seen 4 different ones, with 3 different uses for the purple wire. I've been trying to upload a picture of it I took this morning, I haven't done this in 2 or 4 years, and it's not working. I suppose you guys went to the picture needs to be online also. I've gotta learn how to do that sometime.