1996 Johnson 9.9 / 15 4-stroke electrical and wiring diagram help model J10FEXEDC

bfriendly

Cadet
Purchased this outboard as is, previous owner says it ran but stopped starting, if he "jiggled some wires around" he could get it to start or run. He pulled out most of the wiring to replace it, then gave up on the project. The old wiring was pretty corroded and I still have the old wires so I can make an educated guess as to where many of them go.

I am antsy and can't wait any longer to get working on the project.
I have ordered a shop manual but it is a week and a half away and I would like to get out fishing as much as possible before the season is over!

What would really help would be a wiring diagram or anything like that. I believe the 1994 to 2001 (or even 2007) 4 stroke 9.9hp and 15hp motors all are very similar, if not identical.

I have checked all the usual places like marineengine.com parts diagrams, which don't help in this case. Leyroysramblings.com also has some helpful info on these model engines, but not on wiring.

A search of the forums and other web sites and forums turned up nothing after a few hours...

It is an electric start, tiller model, but mainly I am looking for info on ALL the wiring under the cowl, the battery hookup etc is easy enough to figure out.

Can anyone help provide me with any kind of wiring diagram, or even just some basic descriptions of wire colors and locations?
I would REALLY appreciate any help I can get at this point.

Thanks

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
repeat -- google your motor, and look for a wiring diagram. Look for a '96 among the images of wiring diagrams and relevant links.

edit. And bookmark the diagram if you find one -- can share a link or two here for review and comment. Same for descriptions and discussions you might want somebody to review.

Last edited: