Evinrude 6hp fuel tank and hose with siphon setup

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am about to redo the entire fuel setup on my Evinrude 6hp outboard and I have a few questions: The hose on there now is about 5ft long and comes off the tank and coils around on the back floor then goes up to the engine - however I have heard recently that the primer bulb is suppose to be vertical to the engine instead of laying flat. I plan on running from the fuel tank just a couple of feet to the bulb and then another 8" or so to the engine. Is this the correct setup ? or is there a specific reason to have the fuel line this long ? I want to do it correctly especially since I have having some fuel / engine issues (I will post seperately for this issue) and I am trying to trouble shoot right now. Is there a right and wrong way of setting up the fuel tank and hose to the engine ? I also want to put an inline fuel filter in, which is on there now but I cannot find a good one and everything I have read says to use a water seperator ? would that be needed on my small 6hp ? any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you to all in advance.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There is no special length for the hose, it can be just about any length you want. Most people don't use a larger water separating filter on small motors with portable tanks, but theres no problem using one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Most primer bulbs made today have lousy check valves, in order to not present too much restriction for large horsepower motors. Because the check valves have no springs to close them, they rely on gravity to do that. And that is why they work better in a vertical position. However, once the motor's carburetor is filled with gas, the primer bulb isn't even necessary any more. In other words, position only matters while you are squeezing it to prime. Secondly, it can go anywhere in the hose between the tank and motor. BUT--when the whole hose is empty and full of air, as in first time use or first time after running the tank dry, you have to keep squeezing that bulb till you have pumped the air out and it fills with gas. It is a far better gas pump than air pump. So, with that in mind, being close to the tank reduces the amount of air that has to be pumped out before filling with gas coming from the tank. But most people don't even realize what is happening and don't notice any difference. So put it wherever is most convenient. If you put a water separator on a 6hp with a portable tank, you would be one of a few people that do.

kevinstan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can I use standard 3/8" gas hose from autozone or do I need new marine grade low permeation hose from a boat shop ? I was just gonna use the cheap stuff but after I just rebuilt the carb I want to try to take care of everything..... New tank going on soon along with new hose and primer bulb and all - I want it to last a while so I am trying to do it as best I can for it to last. What is my best option for fuel line ?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Aw come on, we all know that the generic fuel hose is fine. But the boys (and girls) in Washington say we gotta use low permeation hose to protect the planet. Yeah, like there is going to be enough fuel seeping through that hose to destroy all Creation. I better shut up before we start discussing Global Warming now.