Tilt/Trim intermittent problem 1998 Johnson 115 Ficht

hurricanetim

Cadet
I have a 1998 Johnson 115 Ficht that has an intermittent tilt/trim problem that started about 2 months ago. I have owned the boat for 3 years no problem until this year. When trim stops working I can hear the relays clicking, up or down, but trim motor does not run. If I remove & reinstall relays or fuses sometimes it starts working again, sometimes not. I replaced the relays and it seemed to have solved the problem only to start up again a few weeks later. I am guessing the problem is electrical, but I am not very good at electrical troubleshooting. Any ideas for what else I can try? Thanks very much for any advice offered.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It sounds like a dead spot on the PTT motor, but it could be something else. Jumper the PTT motor directly the next time this happens and see if it persists. If the issue persists, it is likely time to repair/replace the PTT motor. Also, make sure the electrical connector to the PTT motor is clean and connected properly.

hurricanetim

Cadet
Boat Trim issue 9-2015.jpg Thanks Chris1956. I was able to jumper from the battery to the plug that runs to the PTT and the motor ran no problems. I checked the receptacle that the plug goes into with the PTT switch on and did not get 12V, but the meter did register a brief slight jump when switch was turned on. BTW, fuses all check OK. Picture of the fuse / relay block is attached.