Age of Johnson Super Sea Horse 40 HP

brettofthewales

Recruit
Need help finding age of recently purchsed engine. It is a Johnson Super-Sea Horse 40HP Electric Start Model No. RDS - 27A Serial 0440498. Also, it will start on the electric but is not cooling - is it most likely to be impellar ??

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Age of Johnson Super Sea Horse 40 HP

Yes, most likely the impeller. There's also a thermostat up under the triangular plate in the head that may be stuck. I would replace both if I were you.<br /><br />Johnson RDS-27<br />Year: 1965<br />HP: 40<br />WOT RPMS: 4500 (4000-5000 RPMS)<br />Displacement: 43.9 cu.in. = 719.4 ccm<br />Cylinders: 2<br />Gearcase ratio: 12:21<br />Spark plugs: Champion J4C (was J4J) gapped at .030"<br />Fuel/Oil Mix: 50:1 87 octane gas to TC-W3 rated outboard oil.<br />Lower unit oil: OMC/BRP 'HiVis' or equivalent 90/80W outboard gearcase oil.<br /><br />Iboats, NAPA autoparts, and your local Johnny/Rude dealer can get you the parts your going to need. But the first step is to pick up a service manual. It's the best money spent.<br /> <br /><br />Welcome to Iboats!

AMD_237

Cadet

I'm not sure if this helps any but I had a cooling problem with my 1960 Johnson Super Sea Horse 40hp...I changed the thermostat and the impeller and was informed on this site that these kinds of motors need to have the water level as high as possible on the lower unit. I put it in the water maybe 5-6 inches underneath the exhaust port on the lower unit and the cooling system seemed to work much better. Not sure if this helps but I hope it does and good luck!

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Also, if this is a new to you engine, I would check the compression so that you have a baseline for the future.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

This thread is over 4 years old. I'm sure he fixed it by now....:D