is this a long shaft?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
00n0n_gJ2op1hAZWw_600x450.jpg

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/boa/5163708738.html

and yes I realize the trailer is a 'tad' small....

jbcurt00

Staff member
No it isnt

and

Yes it is :watermelon:

Looks like its actually a short shaft motor, that has the factory 5in long shaft extension added to it.

If you can find a water tube and a driveshaft, you could remove the lower, remove the extension and put it back to a typical short shaft. And have the option to convert it back to long shaft to use as a kicker...

Doesnt look like the boat its on in the ad NEEDS a long shaft, but yep, if you need a long shaft kicker, it'll work for ya.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Exactly what racerone says

but it does look as though the boat should have a standard shaft engine

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah not looking for the boat, tho' might grab it and sell to a buddy cheap. I'm after a kicker for both the Carver and the Lone Star that I can swap back and forth as needed. Need long shaft on the Carver as it has a moveable bracket but the Lone Star could probably get by with a short but pretty sure long will be ok.

Long shafts are not easy to find. Just heard from him supposed to be sold at 5pm otherwise he'll hit me back up. Dam on CL for almost a month, the morning I find it - sold. Maybe...

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Can get crazy if you like with an auxiliary motor on the Carver, helm and all. I've been using the Yachtwin (recommend elec start for reaching over a transom). Also got a little crazier and picked up a 9.9 reg shaft that followed me home, so can switch out lower units if I want -- might work for you for the other boat. (turns out the short shaft was a runner too, but would have been OK with just the lower unit. Yachtwin is a 25" shaft, and you may want that extra length over a 20".)

IMG_20141010_165029_1024.jpg IMG_20141226_184329_1024.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah well i got spolied when we had the big boat with twin screws. I never broke down completely so im going to have one on either when i go out. Plus growing up in the PNW everyone had them down here not so much. The real reason is i want to troll for stripers.

So a long is hard to find now yer telling me imight like extra long then thown in electric start..... yeah i might upgrade to that in a few years but for now i might have a line one one of those black motors ive heard about.

Part of my challenge has been getting a hp big enough for carver yet small enogh for loanestar but i think ive conviced myself to get two.

My wife hates me.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
yeah, two (or three) is always better. 9.9 is a pretty good size, though. High thrust prop for use on the Carver. Reg prop for use on Lonestar(?) 9.9 is popular, so more $$$, but Yachtwins/Sailmasters around and a decent time of year to look. I've also had good experience with Chrysler Sailors, '70s -'80s vintage. Used one last year without issues. Same potential for swapping out lower units for motors of the same vintage. (10 hp Sailor has a heavy one piece l.u. extension, unlike the OMCs -- heavier duty gearbox.) Likely pick up a good Chrysler a little cheaper.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I wish you could have heard it people. Had trouble getting started yesterdsy for a bit and she actually said yes get a kicker for this thing and one for the Carver.

Unfortunatrd i didnt get it recorded so now she is denying it.

I, still gonna get two..