Where do I find High output coils and wires for a Johnson?

LuckDay

Cadet
Quick Question, I've got a 1986 Johnson 110 V-4 VRO outboard on my 17ft MFG that runs really well. I want to replace the factory coils with (if available) a high output unit with a larger pre made coil wire(s). I decided to buy new OMC units(spark plug wire kit) from the dealer and even though I did get them together properly, I am not happy with how thin the coil wires are they are. I also cleaned the coils and used die-electric grease between them and the head. The coils appear to be original so why not replace them. Being a hot rodder by hobby, coils are a easy way to upgrade the ignition on the engine. Not trying to cure a problem, just making use of better technology - that is all. Where do I find something like that. All Google searches just come up with the factory coils (582508)
Thanks, Joe

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
It ain't broke, so why fix it? OEM coils are made to work with the other components. They work quite well.

LuckDay

Cadet
I understand the logic, but not being into the boat world like I am in the car world, I am kinda getting the impression nobody really makes Hi-po parts for boat engines. Are they just good to go from the factory or there is just no value in the few horses bolt on parts can bring. In the car world even 5 horses can win a race.
Joe

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Outboards are a bit different, there are some places you can get high performance parts, mostly for Mercs, Merc is big into racing, others brands aren't.

Scream and Fly is into motor mods, that site may have a source.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boat motors aint hot rod motors and visa versa.

most people who think that they can improve outboards by bolting on stuff are like the people that mess up harleys by bolting on a jet kit and an exhaust and you wonder why it only runs at 1 throttle setting and isnt driveable any more.

when thinking boat motors, think less hotrod, and more like a dump truck motor hauling a load uphill while in sand and in 4th gear. you have to think prop torque curve and work from there.

LuckDay

Cadet
Thanks Scott, I appreciate your answer. I guess the only way to improve performance is to go larger outboard. The connection with a dump truck is good; I've got it now. I only wanted to improve the engine with newer technology (higher output coils and better spark plug wire diameter for less spark drop.) My engine runs great and figured it was worth spending the money on better coils since mine were almost 30 years old. I will look at the motor differently from here on out. I will just buy all new ignition parts from Johnson dealer and take the money saved and put it toward other little things the boat could use.

I own a smaller lake run about with a 40hp Johnson I bought running poorly due to coils that were suppossed to be new OMC but turned out to had been bought online and were overseas copies and junk. Since then I run the factory stuff from a dealer - yes they are more expensive but it is the right parts. It is really tough to walk home when the boat won't start 1/2 mile off shore. :)
Joe

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Joe, Just so you know, production outboards had CDI-style ignition long before production autos. They were pretty hi-tech when introduced, and are still pretty good. I am not sure you will find any ponies hiding there.

You would find some 2 cycle outboard HP in porting, manifolds and other things designed to help with exhaust scavenging and increasing intake charge. These changes are not normally the bolt-on kind.

The Screamandfly website will have some info, if you are interested. They mostly run V6 motors from Merc and OMC.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Agreed, most outboards have been close to 1hp per cubic inch for decades. the average automotive engine is about half that and takes add-on stuff and parts changing to get there

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
In a CDI ignition the coil is just a voltage transformer. The spark energy is determined by the capacitor's charge inside the powerpack. So you can't make a stronger spark by replacing the coil.
It's a different story in battery ignition systems where the spark energy is stored in the magnetic field inside the coil. Here high-performance replacement parts can make sense.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no need to try and improve the factory CD ignition.---After all they have not seen the need to change the specs in some 35 years !!!

LuckDay

Cadet
All good info. When I used to race 2stroke quad engines, the biggest improvement was a new pipe, carb jetting and higher compression then reeds. Coils are a quick bolt on in the 4 stroke world. I looked at my 110 Johnson very differently this Labor Day weekend after the above dump truck comparison. I was able to hit 37mph at 5,000rpm. I want faster but on the Connecticut river and all the boat traffic, my 17ft MFG Gypsy got moved around quite a bit with all the wakes so going faster will not help. I just need a bigger boat :) S/N: my hole shot is pretty good. Thanks for the help.
Joe

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Luck, Just so you know, most OBs have some sort of exhaust tuning, like an expansion chamber on a MC.. However, since they do not have gears, it is only effective across a narrow powerband. The e-TEC V4/6 motors have a valve in the exhaust passages.The valve allows exhaust to expand down the exhaust housing, and back up on the opposing cylinder, at the right throttle setting. In effect, the e-TEC V engines have tuned the exhaust in two places in the powerband. That is the only instance that I know about.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I was able to hit 37mph at 5,000rpm.
If you're peaking at 5000 revs, you've got more motor left. With a light load, you want to be hitting somewhere in the 5600-5800 range. Might want to try a prop next pitch size down. You may find you improve your hole shot AND your top end!