1976 25 hp evinrude carburetor rebuild

Mike bob

Cadet
My 1976/evinrude 25 hp didn't start last time out on the water. It had spark but wasn't getting fuel to the carb. I suspected it was the fuel pump and replaced it. But the problem continues. No fuel to carb. I'm thinking somethings clogged in the lines or carb itself. Is a carb rebuild something I can tackle myself or are there special adjustments that only the pros can do. I am mechanically inclined, but don't want to take it apart if I can't fix it. Also need new fuel lines and am thinking clear lines. Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Is your primer bulb working? Does it get hard when you prime it? Is the vent on the tank open? Have you checked the pickup tube in the tank and made sure that it isn't stopped up? Try these and see what happens. Good luck

Mike bob

Cadet
Primer bulb works. Flows at fuel pump filter. So I suspected the blockage is after the fuel pump.
Vent is open.
Bulb gets hard with prime.

I'm going on a Musky trip soon and need this motor to work.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That carb is a very easy rebuild. Hardest part is getting it off, which isn't that hard either. Is this an electric start? If so you will most likely have to remove the starter to get the carb off. Once the starter is off there are just 2 bolts holding the carb on and then one linkage rod that has to be removed.

If it hasn't been done in awhile I would also suggest replacing all the fuel lines inside the engine. It's cheap insurance.

Mike bob

Cadet
I just ordered the carb kit and will replace the rubber fuel lines as well. I ordered the kit with the new float. I'll let you all know how it goes. And thanks Bonz and Will.