1987 Johnson 120hp - Water pressure gauge

jimmyneutron

Cadet
Hi,

I'm thinking of installing a simple water pressure gauge for my engine. I researched into this and saw a variety of ways this can be accomplished. Some people prefer to tee off of the tell-tale. But wouldn't that give an inaccurate reading? Since one end of the tee is free flowing, the pressure would read about 0 psi?

I was wondering if I can just install the pressure gauge at the end of the tell-tale? (i.e. plug the tell-tale with the pressure gauge). This would render the tell-tale useless, but it would read full correct pressure. Would this be okay?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I have mine plumbed direct to the telltale hose barb on the engine for the very same reason. You will need a 0-30 lbs pressure gauge.

LuckDay

Cadet
I have a question: Where is the tell tail as I have the same engine but 110hp. I want to add the gauge but dont really know where to tie it in.
Joe

jimmyneutron

Cadet
I have mine plumbed direct to the telltale hose barb on the engine for the very same reason. You will need a 0-30 lbs pressure gauge.

Just to clarify, you have your tell-tale plugged off by the water pressure gauge, so no water is coming out of the tell-tale, correct?

And LuckDay, if your engine is the same, then the tell-tale should be on the starboard-stern-bottom portion of the outboard housing. If you can't find it, just run it and it's where the water spurts out.

jimmyneutron

Cadet
Can anyone else verify that I can plug the tell-tale hose with a pressure gauge? I don't wanna damage the engine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So the factory kit came with the t fitting for the tell tale hose.---And you say that will not work ????-----Try it as it is the simplest way to install this gauge !!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Water pressure gauges can be installed by a Tee fitting in the tell tale but not all engines work well that way. I've done it and never had one that didn't work that way. My 75 HP Merc is plumbed that way. The Merc does have a restrictor in the tell tale where it exits the housing. It takes pressure to make a tell tale stream and a gauge can measure that. If it doesn't work that way, you will not damage the engine by simply using the tell tale to feed the gauge. You lose the visual stream of water but then you MUST remember to look at the gauge . But then neither one does you no good if you look at neither of them.