Evinrude is catching very hard into gear

I've tried searching for old threads related to my problem but have had no luck.
Here's my issue, my 1973 evinrude outboard seems to be overworking it's self in idle and when put into gear the entire motor jerks lIke it's catching. Very similar catch as if i was trying to put a manual transition car into 1st gear with high of rpms. My first thought was that I need to adjust my idle screw. But no change. (If im not mistaken, The idle screw adjust the position of the trigger while in neutral?) My trigger is in the furthest positon back (back being the side with the spark plugs. I hope someone has something else I can try. I thought it could be the clutch dog or eve. Broken teeth on the gears but once the gears catch there is no problem staying in gear...
I'm sure I'm forgetting something and I hope there is help.
I attached a picture of the idle screw. I'm not sure what the top screw is for because it never comes into contact with anything.

Attachments

• 2015-09-03 17.26.24.jpg
    2015-09-03 17.26.24.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 2

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Are you saying that its idling to high?
If so are butterflys closed completely at idle?

Yes it is idling to high.
And no they are slightly open. They are only closed when the choke is engaged. And that kills the engine..
Would idling high cause the gears to catch real hard?
Thanks for the fast reply

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
yes sure, high idling is really bad for selecting gear, My motor just almost conks out when its put into gear which is why idle is always set when on the water under load and the motors warm- getting it to the lowest setting but it not stopping.
I dlont have your motor but i would suspect those plates not being shut could be it.
Have you looked up the link and sync info for that motor? That describes how to set the closing and opening of the throttle linkages in proper time

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The lower screw in your picture is the idle speed screw. Disconnect the throttle cable and set the lower screw / idle speed with the throttle lever tight against it (motor in forward gear, in the water, not muffs or bucket). Then readjust the throttle cable to fit when you reinstall it. Always adjust the remote control to fit the motor, never adjust the motor to fit the remote control. Don't mess with the upper screw, or you will find yourself doing a link & sync. Maybe you have to do a link & sync anyway, if you have messed with other linkages.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are you shifting this 1973 model 65 hp motor with a quick firm motion ??

Thanks for the help guys.
As for F_R.. I did what you said before but I didn't set it in foward gear. I did it from reverse gear. Would that make a difference?
And RACERONE. I am not. I'm more slowly putting it into gear. Should I be quick and firm? Haha sorry that sounds funny
Thanks again guys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
An outboard like that should not be eased into gear.-----Too much damage occurs during " granny shifting "

yes sure, high idling is really bad for selecting gear, My motor just almost conks out when its put into gear which is why idle is always set when on the water under load and the motors warm- getting it to the lowest setting but it not stopping.
I dlont have your motor but i would suspect those plates not being shut could be it.
Have you looked up the link and sync info for that motor? That describes how to set the closing and opening of the throttle linkages in proper time

No sir I have not even heard of the link and sync. Is there anything online that will show me how or is that something in my manual?

The lower screw in your picture is the idle speed screw. Disconnect the throttle cable and set the lower screw / idle speed with the throttle lever tight against it (motor in forward gear, in the water, not muffs or bucket). Then readjust the throttle cable to fit when you reinstall it. Always adjust the remote control to fit the motor, never adjust the motor to fit the remote control. Don't mess with the upper screw, or you will find yourself doing a link & sync. Maybe you have to do a link & sync anyway, if you have messed with other linkages.

Do the link and sync adjustments adjust the roller for the butterflies on the carb openings?

I don't know if my reply to the sync and link is posting but here is a picture of where my roller is during the neutral start. It does not touch the plate at all.

Attachments

• 2015-09-04 16.40.27.jpg
    2015-09-04 16.40.27.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
A link and sync are very important adjustments to get a proper running motor. Get yourself a manual and following the instructions exactly as instructed.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I don't know if my reply to the sync and link is posting but here is a picture of where my roller is during the neutral start. It does not touch the plate at all.
Yes pic works. Show us a pix of your butterflys when in starting position ie closed.
Do a video if possible. You an upload a link from youtube

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Is your shift cabe adjustabe? Had to het mine revved down when i pu mine on.