1998 70hp 4 stroke evinrude

darrm1

Cadet
Bought a new to me 1998 Lowe Pontoon boat which came with this motor. (E70FTLEC). It actually runs pretty good. I had to replace a fuel line coming out of the fuel pump as it was cracked and draining my gas tank if it sat for any amount of time.
It starts good from a cold state, and runs strong. However, if I turn it off and try to restart the motor after just a couple seconds, it often has a hard time starting. Since there is no throttle to just rev the motor, I have to slap it in gear to give it some gas to get the engine to fire up. I replaced the gas line and prime bulb on spec, replaced spark plugs, and ran a can of seafoam through a tank of gas. I also have a bit of a bog if I pin the motor from idle. It will blog momentarily, and then take off.
I have read lots about the fuel pump issues. I am a little confused, some say I should hear the pump just by turning the key to "on", others say I should hear it for 3 seconds after it started. The fact is, I don't hear it at all. Should I be able to hear it from the drivers seat, or do you need to have the cover off and be standing next to it. Like I say, it runs pretty strong so Im not sure about the fuel pump or whether I should be looking at something else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Almost at the end of the boating season.
Also, is there anywhere I can download the manuals for free, or do I just buck it up and order one online.
thanks
mark

darrm1

Cadet
Should also mention, the old primer bulb never really got hard so I replaced it. The new primer bulb doesn't really get hard either. Not sure if this is a tell tail sign of anything or not.

interalian

Commander
What kind of control has no provision for increasing the idle in neutral?

darrm1

Cadet
it has omc written on it. I just assumed being that it is fuel injected, that it didn't require it, but it would come in handy.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Pull out on the base of the handle while in neutral. Twist forward or reverse while pulling out. This is your fast advance. It is also possible that there is a button to depress in neutral then twist forward or reverse to give throttle in neutral

Last edited:

darrm1

Cadet
Really, I didn't know that. I had a Yamaha before this motor and it had a seperate lever. This control just pushes forward or reverse, doesn't even have a button to move out of neutral. I will have to try what you are suggesting this weekend, thanks.

darrm1

Cadet
There is a button on the base of the control that never did anything, or so I thought!!! I will check this out.

darrm1

Cadet
Well I feel a little stupid, but thanks to the members of this forum, I now have an idle throttle. When the black button in pressed in, it allows for the throttle leaver to slide out and rev up the engine. Thanks to all!!!