1982 Evinrude 4.5 hp grounding out and shocking the %!*# outta me

Fishaz

Recruit
I have recently been upgrading my 1982 4.5 hp evinrude motor but have run into a new problem as the motor will not start. After testing the electrical I found there is no spark in my spark plug. I traced the wires back and have found no electrical all the way back to the magneto. In addition to not starting when you Pull the pull cord, the motor sends an electrical shock that goes through the entire unit and will shock the heck out of you if you were touching the motor. The motor will not start and will not run. I believe something is going on in either the magneto or the ignition coil. I'm not very good with electrical and am wondering if any of you have some ideas on what to look for to fix this problem. I just recently replaced the kill switch mechanism and rebuilt the carburetor. Please help as I would love to get back on the water!

Will Bark

Lieutenant
may want to look at your kill switch sounds like you have it grounded where it not supposed to be. Good luck

Fishaz

Recruit
I will certainly look at the kill switch again however the shocking problem happened before the install of the kill switch. I was hoping the new one would rectify my issue. Any other places for me to look?

Fishaz

Recruit
Also I was wondering is there anything in the ignition coil that could go bad that would cause the electrical to ground out on the motor and not let a spark reach the spark plugs?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
When it gets dark look under the cowl at spark wires to see if they are arcing to the block or anything else for that matter good luck.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
sounds like the insulation may of gone on the wiring, a multimeter with resistance function can help you, or a thorough visual inspection

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
think I would look underneath the retainer/support plate -- spot where the wiring is routed back to the power pack and coils. Tight squeeze and might be abrasion under there. Have to pull the flywheel and unscrew the plate as if replacing a charge coil.

Fishaz

Recruit
Ok. I have not looked there yet. After inspecting all the visible wires I found some minor flaws and repaired them with electrical tape. Problem persists....
Looking under the flywheel sounds good. Thank you.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
I have recently been upgrading my 1982 4.5 hp evinrude

What do you mean by "Upgrade"? Was there a problem?

After testing the electrical I found there is no spark in my spark plug. I traced the wires back and have found no electrical all the way back to the magneto. In addition to not starting when you Pull the pull cord, the motor sends an electrical shock that goes through the entire unit and will shock the heck out of you if you were touching the motor. The motor will not start and will not run. I believe something is going on in either the magneto or the ignition coil.

What tests did you do?

I'm not very good with electrical and am wondering if any of you have some ideas on what to look for to fix this problem. I just recently replaced the kill switch mechanism and rebuilt the carburetor. Please help as I would love to get back on the water!

Is this a motor you've had for some time and this issue just developed, or is it new to you and came with the problem existing?

I will certainly look at the kill switch again however the shocking problem happened before the install of the kill switch. I was hoping the new one would rectify my issue. Any other places for me to look?

What did you do just before the shocks started?